Why become a member? ×

Promethean verses Fender TV 12.

voxpop

Guys,
I'm looking for a small combo for rehearsals and quiet gigs. I've short listed the Promethean and the Fender TV12.
I like the looks and old school sound of the fender but also the extra power / add on cab of the Promethean.

Has anyone tried the two together or have any views.

Thanks.

Presumably you are talking about the original 110 promethean? I've had only about an hour or so last night to try out my new promethan combo. All I can tell so far is that by nature it's a very tight sounding bit of kit, It's very different to the warwick/ashdown setup I was using which was very open . On a practical level it can't be beaten at it's price though, it's tiny and loud, but ultimately it is a 110 in a tiny box so whilst loud probably wouldn't sound as big as the Fender. The vibe control is pretty cool and sounds positively vintage.

I've already found a problem with one of the screw holes, one of them hasn't been lubricated properly and doesn't go in very easily, something I can probably fix witha bit of wd40 or something but doesn't bode well for the rest of it's construction :/ .

I will get more chance to play with it tonight, so can offer some more feedback then

You will have trouble finding one in the uk, although they are in stock at thomann.

• 1 month later...

Can't say enough good stuff about the Promethean P5110, it punches well above it's weight in so many ways.
I've used it for home practice, full rehearsals, smallish gigs without PA support and as a stage monitor for much bigger ones, where it was so loud the guys doing the FOH asked me to turn down as it was interfering with their mix :) It handles a low nicely and can put out a pretty enormous range of sounds, and the fact that you can also use it with headphones and whap the head out to push 500W at 4 Ohms as part of a big rig is the icing on the cake!

The Fender TV 12 is by all accounts a nice sounding amp, but it only does one sound, which I'll bet the Promethean can get close to with it's vibe control, it's more expensive and a fair bit heavier.
The only thing the TV 12 has over the Promethean is the 12" speaker, which will obviously push out a bit more natural low end, something you have to force a little with the Ibanez, but having said that, I was playing last night, at fairly low levels and was generating a surprising amount of trouser flap, which I hadn't noticed before.
I just wish Ibanez had released a 12" version of the original combo instead of knocking out a cheaper 15" combo, cheapening the brand and failing to follow through on what was really great start in higher end amplification...

So in summary, get yourself a Promethean P5110 Combo before they run out! :)

Eude