Why become a member? ×

Using a Boss LS-2 for impedance matching

gear4djs

Hi guys!

This is Mike from Gear4DJs speaking. I'm trying to come up with the best way to get either a one or two double bass pickup system into my amplifier without too much rigmarole (or cost). I've noticed that the Boss LS-2 (which I own already) has 1MOhm inputs - does this also apply to the returns of the pedal? And does that mean, if that's true, that I could put a 'slap' pickup through one return and then the 'normal' pickup through the other, which'll then enable me to mix them together?

Cheers all!

Yup - it'll work just fine. I've been doing this for the past few years with a Boss TU-2 or Boss GEB-7 pedal, and more recently with the Boss LS-2 to mix two pickups. Sometimes the lower impedance of 1Mohm actually works better than a higher one. I was previously using a Fishman Dual Parametric DI as an impedance buffer but it's 10Mohm input just let in far too much low end that I ended up using the parametric eq to take out all the low end. Hooked things up back to front one day, with the Boss TU-2 first, and it instantly sounded better - like putting it through a high pass filter. But yeah, as mentioned -try it and if it sounds good then it works!!!

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1331234290' post='1570103']
Yup - it'll work just fine. I've been doing this for the past few years with a Boss TU-2 or Boss GEB-7 pedal, and more recently with the Boss LS-2 to mix two pickups. Sometimes the lower impedance of 1Mohm actually works better than a higher one. I was previously using a Fishman Dual Parametric DI as an impedance buffer but it's 10Mohm input just let in far too much low end that I ended up using the parametric eq to take out all the low end. Hooked things up back to front one day, with the Boss TU-2 first, and it instantly sounded better - like putting it through a high pass filter. But yeah, as mentioned -try it and if it sounds good then it works!!!
[/quote][quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1331235794' post='1570136']
Put the upright pickups into A and B , you can then use the remaining input for your electric bass. Set the dial to A +B mix and you can swap from upright to electric with a press of the pedal
[/quote]

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to do keeponehandloose - I'm intending to do 'doubling' gigs and it was causing me an enormous headache trying to work how to get the setup so that I could a ) switch quickly between electric bass and double bass, and b ) hopefully not have to splash tons of money in the first place. I don't even mind if it doesn't sound 100% perfect - it just needs to work :)!