Why become a member? ×

Really basic key/chord question.

REDLAWMAN

Smokie, 'Lay Back in the Arms of Someone'.

Starts on 'G'.

Chords are: G; D; A; Bm; Em.

The chord chart says the key is G and, as I say, it starts on G (but resolves on D).

It can't be in G, can it; it must be in D, because A isn't in the key of G (it's Am).

Am I correct, please?

The 'key' that a song is in does not relate to the chords in the same way as it does the notes. If a chart is in G, the dots would require all Fs to be played as sharps. Nevertheless, if the chart lists a chord as F (not F#) then it is F. The key signature does not change the chord. Not every modulation in a chart results in a change in key signature. I guess it depends on whether the modulation is a momentary transition or a significant change in key.

I'd assume it was in D major rather than G,starting on the IV chord-the chords are diatonic to D major,and as
you say it resolves to D.
A lot of people assume that the key of a song is the first chord,but it's not-more often it's actually
the final chord,where it resolves.
As far as the tune in question,I'd write it in D because it's easier to write(and read) the key signature
rather than writing accidentals(in this case, C# on every A chord.)

• 1 month later...