Why become a member? ×

Shopping in Austin, TX

njr911

I'm very lucky to have a brother IL in Austin Texas and am planning on visiting him over there at the end of the year.

What good shops should I go to to have a look at some nice things ?

I love vintage Fenders (who deosn't) so they would be of interest.

Also how are prices inthe States compared to here ? Should I be buying a bass to bring back, or even two and sell one to recuperate some costs ?

Cheers
Neil

Not been myself but I'm aware of these guys being great for high end stuff if it's your bag http://www.austinbasstraders.com/.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1331037404' post='1566600']
I love vintage Fenders ([b]who deosn't[/b])
[/quote]

Unfortunately there are a few on this site! But hey... they're wrong :D :lol: enjoy your trip, my uncle's from Austin and is always asking me to go over, apparently the live music scene is most excellent.

I lived in Dallas, TX for a short while and I used to make frequent trips to Austin because my partner had family living there. I visited the Bass Emporium once when stumbling across it whilst driving and they have some very tasty kit in there. I can't recall if they have much there in the way of vintage basses, but they have plenty of Fenders, Laklands and Sadowsky's.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1331044224' post='1566748']
Make sure you don't have to pay VAT or whatever the tax is on imported goods, when you come back to this country.
[/quote]

Post recipts back, few stickers on the case to make it look used, jobs a carrot.....

...at least that's what someone with less scrouples than me would do ;)

The two posters are correct. Those are the two places to go for bass.

Save this message. When you go to Bass Emporium, tell John or Chuck Tom from Brubaker basses said hi. Might help you get a little better price/help.

If you go to Austin Bass Traders, tell Glenn the same thing. If you need help in coordinating a visit to them, let me know.

tom

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1331045136' post='1566766']
Post recipts back, few stickers on the case to make it look used, jobs a carrot.....

...at least that's what someone with less scrouples than me would do ;)
[/quote]

I've a friend whose got relatives there - planned to get a nice guitar ( not bass). If the value is less than about £500 ,I think , no need for VAT /customs. I'm sure stickers would seriously devalue an otherwise perfect instrument. ;) However he went to one shop (emporium?) too expensive , then trecked across town with a hangover to another ( can't remember name) to find it boarded up. He then went in a huff and gave up!

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1331044224' post='1566748']
Make sure you don't have to pay VAT or whatever the tax is on imported goods, when you come back to this country.
[/quote]

VAT and duty details from HMRC:

[url="http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htmCustoms"]http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm[/url]

[quote][b]Import VAT[/b]

Import VAT is charged as a percentage of the total value of the goods plus any other duties payable. The rate is the same VAT rate that applies to similar goods that are sold in the UK.

[b]Duty rates[/b]

In all instances Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the duty payable is less than £9. For other goods brought into the UK by travellers, duty only applies on goods above £270 or £390 (whichever is appropriate) in value. Over this allowance and up to £630 there is a duty flat rate of 2.5 per cent.

For goods over £630, the duty/duties rate charged depends on the type of goods.
[/quote]

Best not to try to avoid these charges. Or try to claim "I took it out with me", because HMRC are clever like that. ;)

Also wise to ensure that the instrument case locks are customs / border control compliant - ie they can open the case to inspect while its out of one's hands.

Edited by skankdelvar