Why become a member? ×

D versus Eb necks and different speaking lengths...?

Beedster

I'm hoping to buy a high quality DB in the very near future, which means once again I'll have the joys of trying to house two of them! There seem to be a few guys on here with more than one DB and I was wondering what the general consensus was on the degree to which speaking length and neck type (Eb versus D stops) should be close or identical across instruments. Specifically, as I'm hoping to play my old one a 'rougher' gigs (which of course we don't really get in Canterbury), whilst using the newbie for recording and better gigs, i want to be able to switch between the two fairly easily. The bass I'm looking at has the same neck stop (Eb) but has almost two inches longer speaking length than my current instrument.

I went to a few TB threads to investigate, but whilst they started well, they seemed to descend into arguments about whether members were using the search engine appropriately, so I didn't dare post there and am hoping for more luck here :)

This is VERY subjective, but for me string length is ok anywhere from 40-42. Ideal length for me is between 41 & 41.5. Anything above 42 or below 40 is hard work. I use 41.5.
I much prefer D necks.As they are more common I would recommend them to new players. I also find them easier to play.
However Eb is 100% fine and it's really what you are used to.
I find changing between different neck stops hard, but perhaps I would overcome this if it was more regular.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by geoffbassist

My Eminence has a Eb stop and my DB has a D stop - I've not had any major problem switching between them, the Eminence has position markers, which probably helps a lot.
Having said that, if I had the choice I'd rather that both basses had a D stop, just for convenience.

I have no idea if the speaking lengths are the same or not - I've not measured them and I certainly haven't noticed any significant difference.

It's a good question.

I always struggle more with neck profile
and different string heights and tensions more than Eb or D necks. I have basses with both types and I don't struggle with it as I play them both regularly. If I don't use one for a bit it takes me 10mins or so to get back on it. If I have a preference, It would be a D stop of only because I've played more basses with a D neck..