Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the Orange Terror bass combo, TB500C?

Clarky

While I love the looks of this, I tried a quick one-hand lift at the Orange stand at LBS and it seems quite heavy for a compact neo-equipped combo (my guess is 60+ pounds). I'm not so sure going with a 2x12 was the right move. I would have though 2x10 would appeal to more and would have been appreciably lighter .. and cheaper (they retail at £848 - see link below). I am assuming it sounds just like a Terror Bass head with no extra bells and whistles given the control layout

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Orange-TB500C-Terror-Bass-Combo~ID~15121.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Orange-TB500C-Terror-Bass-Combo~ID~15121.asp[/url]

Orange just emailed me to say this thing weighs 24kg - about 52 pounds. Surprises me as it felt heavier than that, albeit it was a one-hand lift at an awkward angle. I still think a 2x10, lighter and cheaper combo would have been preferable. I shan't be buying this one hwereas I might have gone for a 2x10 combo

• 2 months later...

I just got my TB500c today and on initial plug in and play it really does sound nice, i am going to A/B it against my Trusty ABM 2X10 300 evo 2 at rehearsal on Sunday, but so far it is good, and i like a nice simple control layout, which was one of the things that did it for this combo in the first place..... more knobs mean you get a sound you really like but then you lose it and the amp loses its savour for you... but then that might just be me.

I only ever use one basic sound that i really like, which I found straight away on this baby.

Plus it's one box. although you still have to connect the head to the cab with a speak on cable, which I found a little strange.