Why become a member? ×

Mylar Fretless Coating - Anyone Tried This?

ezbass

I've been enjoying playing fretless a lot recently and have recently replaced the flats with roundwounds for a bit more attack. Yesterday I tried a Gary Willis sig with an ebanol board and loved the additional top end and feel. This got me thinking about fitting a Status neck to my defretted SUB, but at £350 I could pick up a GWB35 secondhand (or at least not too much more than that). So the thought of applying epoxy was next up, but this is pretty drastic and could result in an absolute shambles unless I get it professionally, but then we're into the cost issue again.

Anyway a fair bit of searching reveals a few chaps in the US have achieved what sounds like good results using adhesive clear Mylar (used for sail repairs, etc). Has anyone here tried this and if so what kinds of results were achieved? If you have done this some pics would much appreciated. I see this as a fairly easily reversible process if I'm not happy with the results. Over to you guys.

I used to use mylar at work. It was quite tough but also relatively soft compared to an epoxy coating - it's basically polyester, like the finishes on post CBS Fenders and a bunch of other (often cheaper) guitars from the 70's, 80's and 90's. If it's only going to cost you a few quid it's got to be worth a try.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1331023436' post='1566291']
Interesting... similar to the stuff on [url="http://www.guildfordmarine.co.uk/ebuttonz/boatcare-tape/sailrepairtape/index.htm"]here?[/url]
[/quote]The very same. I'm tempted to give a go, but my GAS for a Gary Willis might make it redundant. If I do it I'll post the results.