Why become a member? ×

Should I keep it?

basskit_case

Hello,

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I purchased [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270908449622"]this[/url] on eBay. Since then I have spent a little amount of time every day just trying to acquaint myself with the ways of the DB.

However following a previous thread I started regards the need for a double bass case, I noticed that the case was damaged, a neck velcro restraint is loose. Having spoken with G4M they have offered me a partial refund of £50 or a full refund and return.

Should I take this as an opportunity to return the bass and case, and save money for a better DB or keep what I have and try to and sell the case on to further reduce the outlay.

I am on the fence, a DB for approx. £150-£175 cant be bad, can it?

Thanks

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1330618695' post='1560514']
Why not return it and get a 3/4? Then you're in up to your neck, :D
[/quote]

I know, thats what I am afraid of!

There is an update to this, I have got an improved refund of £75, meaning the DB and broken case cost £150. I will look to stick the case back on the 'bay and be thankful to whoever takes the case off my hands. and hopefully reduce the outlay still further.

Hi Basskit case.
Welcome to the bottom end.
Not having seen or played the bass it's difficult to comment. I find it difficult to know how a double bass that cost 150-175 could be playable. On the other hand my first bass was a ply that was lying in the storeroom in the school where I taught. It was practically unplayable Pizz. I spent about £300 on the set up. Work on the Bridge and fingerboard to get it playable. Bearing in mind that my knowledge and technique were barely up to that of the bass. So in other words I didn't know any better. A few years down the line at a gig I was bewildered why the pitch was slipping only to discover that the neck was coming apart from the bass.
I suppose what I'm saying is that everybody has to start somewhere and with something they can afford. However there is a catch 22 in that you need a bass that won't cause you injury trying to get a sound out of it. I wouldn't personally buy anything new that cost so little.
In my opinion you'd be better either renting /or borrowing a bass until you decide that it's the instrument for you. Then spend time hunting down the bass for you. Find someone locally that can give you advice or even go with you to try some second hand basses. There are bargains to be had but at times if you think a bargain is 'too good to be true' it often is. Hope it works out for you and that I am proved to be dead wrong.