Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB sound issue

lucatus

Help!

Well, this is my second (and beloved) Yamaha TRB MIJ, and is the second where I found a bit of a problem: You can't cut the sound completely with the volume pot. Somehow there's always a tiny bit. In both cases the battery life is reduced drastically (my previous bass swallowed 1 every two months...) I'm just wondering, am I the only one whit this issues? My new one is second hand, but the previous one came straight from factory, so it looks like some defective batch...

My TRB5PII also has some residual sound with the volume rolled off but i find it could be due to the piezzo. As for the battery mine also eats a lot of battery, i think it's using an average of 3 per year and i find it too much when comparing to other basses i had that would endure more than a year with the same battery. Just make sure that you disconnect the jack every time you're not playing and always carry a spare battery with you, if it fails during a gig it's a 30sec fix between songs. I can tell that my battery is dying because it adds a tiny feedback to the sound, just enough to tell that it's going but perfectly acceptable to finish a song without the audience noticing.

These little problems don't bother me much and i can live with them (as long as batterys are cheap), the sound is too good for me to get too picky with the bass.

If you really want to get rid of these problems then a can only advise you to replace the electronics of your bass but it wont sound the same afterwards...

Cheers

Thanks,mate! I'm not thinking on changing the electronics,I love the sound! But yesterday,after a very long rehearsal,I noticed a degradation of the sound, and the battery is quite new (4/5 weeks),so my idea is to add an on/off switch to cut completely the battery from the preamp when I'm not using it....
Cheers

If you remove the jack the battery cuts off automatically but if you want to be more reassured then simply take off the battery when you don't use the bass, it's easy and you dont have to go soldering and drilling on the bass.

To be sure that is your battery draining and not anything else causing the degradation get a multimeter and take readings of the batterys charge from time to time so you can see how fast it drains. Be sure to use good quality batteries, Duracell or similar. Cheap ones go faster!

+11

With Duracell Procell PP3's available for less than a tenner for a box of 10, that's you sorted for 3-4 years...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1330531697' post='1558969']
If you remove the jack the battery cuts off automatically but if you want to be more reassured then simply take off the battery when you don't use the bass, it's easy and you dont have to go soldering and drilling on the bass.

To be sure that is your battery draining and not anything else causing the degradation get a multimeter and take readings of the batterys charge from time to time so you can see how fast it drains. Be sure to use good quality batteries, Duracell or similar. Cheap ones go faster!
[/quote]

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1330516127' post='1558595']
My TRB5PII also has some residual sound with the volume rolled off but i find it could be due to the piezzo. As for the battery mine also eats a lot of battery, i think it's using an average of 3 per year and i find it too much when comparing to other basses i had that would endure more than a year with the same battery. Just make sure that you disconnect the jack every time you're not playing and always carry a spare battery with you, if it fails during a gig it's a 30sec fix between songs. I can tell that my battery is dying because it adds a tiny feedback to the sound, just enough to tell that it's going but perfectly acceptable to finish a song without the audience noticing.

These little problems don't bother me much and i can live with them (as long as batterys are cheap), the sound is too good for me to get too picky with the bass.

If you really want to get rid of these problems then a can only advise you to replace the electronics of your bass but it wont sound the same afterwards...

Cheers
[/quote]

I have 2 Yamaha TRB5pII's and i have never had this issue with mine.
not really helpfull for a possible repair , but i just wanted to share.