Why become a member? ×

Squire CV 60's Jass Bass

njr911

Had this bass for a few months now and it's my first bass.

I was a guitar player until about 5 years ago when I left the band I was in. Since then wife and kid have filled the gap in my spare time.

Just got another band together but this time I'm playing bass.

I bought a secondhand Squire CV 60's jazz bass and love it. The fit and finish is top quality. as good as the 61' Jazzmaster I owned and up there with my Gibson guitars.

However I think it might benifit from a set up. Never done this before as I had a tame guitar dealer who used to do all my guitars.

It's a bit boomy on the 7th fret of the bottom string for some reason.

Anywhere reccomended in the Leeds area ?

Also how long do strings last on a bass ? Would it benifit from a restring ?

Any reccomended string for a Jass Bass ?

Cheers
Neil

I use Fender nickel strings on my jazz. Depending on how often you play, conditions you play under ie sweating will determine how often you change strings. Typically i get 2 mths before i notice significant deterioration. The first week they are usually a bit lively and need to settle a bit. Then they have that old Fender tone that i have in my head.
If you want strings to last longer then look at Elixir strings. I have them on my Overwater 6 and my Warwick. The tone lasts for many months and i think I'm up to a year now however i don't play them anywhere near as often as my Jazz. I also like Overwater nickel strings which i have on my contemorary J4. They also seem to last 2-3 mths. They have a very nice feel to them whereas the Elixir are mote taught and take a little getting used to.
I would stick to the nickel strings as they aren't as hard on the old finger tips.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave

I also use Fender nickels, or XL's on my CV jazz. I find they sound nice and bright but not clanky. I tend to change mine every 5-6 gigs but thats because i like hearing the overtones and not too keen on the more mellow tone once they have worn in too much.

Although i do my own setups im not sure about the boomy 7th fret thing. It sounds to me this could be a certain freq that is getting boosted somehow, maybe the amp or cab is causing this. I think the first thing to do would be to get some new strings, make sure the pup is not too close to the strings (you can find the correct "starter" settings on the Mr Gearhead website).

Have a look in the repairs and technical issues forum for setup guides. I personally use the Lakland one but there are plenty of others.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330512745' post='1558510']
.... im not sure about the boomy 7th fret thing. It sounds to me this could be a certain freq that is getting boosted somehow, maybe the amp or cab is causing this...[/quote]

Exactly this ^
Try different settings on the amp (frequency sweep if poss) or plugging it into something else to see if the phenomenon persists.

I was gonna suggest the Fender site has basic set up but you guys beat me to it.
I would agree the 7th fret thing is a bit odd. I've noted on some basses that a certain string under certain conditions can sometimes be a little louder or have a slight boom but have always put that down to local gig conditions because its not always there.

Can only imagine it is down to locality and surroundings and changing amp settings might help.
Have you tried via a set of headphones from the amp if possible or is there some-one could let you try via another amp. What about your guitar amp and try in another room of the house if need be.

Dave