Why become a member? ×

FMOD High Pass Filter in effects loop?

Dave Tipping

I like the idea of getting rid of subsonic frequencies that may be working my cab harder than need be and was wondering if anybody here had tried a passive FMOD inline HPF? Somebody on TB had mentioned trying a 30hz one and it making a 'big improvement' but not removing as much as he had hoped. I was thinking of trying a 50hz one .. I play a 4 string plus based on his findings the roll off probably isn't going to effect much until below 40hz. They come with phono ends which I've already got jack adapters for so for £10 it's got to be worth a punt? You have about 12 hours to convince me that It's not worth a punt :)

Try a Thumpinator. I tried Happy Jack's at the weekend, it's very clever indeed!

Read this very fascinating thread, the designer of the Thumpinator takes part. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165792-why-did-i-not-do-this-sooner/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165792-why-did-i-not-do-this-sooner/[/url]

Edited by silddx

It was from reading about the thumpinator that gave me the idea to try a passive audio one in the first instance! That in turn lead to the thread on TB where somebody tried a 30hz HPF. I'm sure this cheap and cheerful attempt at solving the problem will not be up there with the thumpinator ... But for a tenner It's surley worth a punt?

Put simply, a passive high pass filter relies on the loading of the circuit it is connected to as well as it's own components in order to set the filter 'value'. Not knowing what the schematic is inside the plug (be it a simple choke/capacitor arrangement, i don't know) I'd suspect that it may work, it may have little effect at all if the centre frequency is pulled down too low, or it may eat away more bottom than you'd like if the centre frequency is pulled high by the load.

An active circuit alleviates the loading problem and is far more preferable. I'd love to see some more technical detail on this to see what the suggested load should be for correct operation and to see how many amplifier effects loops wide of the mark.

Disclaimer: AFAIK, correct me if I am wrong, IMHO, your assets are at risk if you do not keep up payments.