Why become a member? ×

Decided im going to bild my own cab.

SkinnyMike

Im about to receive my newly bought Gallen Kruger 1001-11 head and im spoilt for choise on which cab i want it to power, so i thought il one make instead.

however my question to you is what should i build? Iv had a browse on the build diarys and it looks like im going to build a Bill Fitzmaurice designed cab however, theres so many to choose from!
i want to have a cab that is going to love being powered by the GK 1001-11, but also sound warm and really define the sound of my lovely 75 Fender jazz.

Iv been having a browse at the omni range and maybe the omni 10 might be a suitable build. Thoughts?
cheers
Mike

Edited by the_house123

[quote name='the_house123' post='172321' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:26 PM']Im about to receive my newly bought Gallen Kruger 1001-11 head and im spoilt for choise on which cab i want it to power, so i thought il one make instead.

however my question to you is what should i build? Iv had a browse on the build diarys and it looks like im going to build a Bill Fitzmaurice designed cab however, theres so many to choose from!
i want to have a cab that is going to love being powered by the GK 1001-11, but also sound warm and really define the sound of my lovely 75 Fender jazz.

Iv been having a browse at the omni range and maybe the omni 10 might be a suitable build. Thoughts?
cheers
Mike[/quote]

A lot of people have chosen the Omni10 as a good choice for bass. It combines reasonable portability with great sound. Alternatively build 2 Omni10.5s, each of which are half of an O10.

The one thing you won't get with an O10 though is a warm sound. I can't speak for the other Omnis but the sound of the Omni10 is fairly neutral ie you get out what you put in, so if you really want to hear the sound of your J then it's ideal, and all your tone shaping can be done on your amp's EQ.

Another factor may be that the O10 is probably the simplest cab to build in the BFM range. It's a good place to start if you're a complete woodworking novice.

Edited by PaulMartin

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='172345' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:48 PM']A lot of people have chosen the Omni10 as a good choice for bass. It combines reasonable portability with great sound.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Paul. Portability is a big factor in my build as im sick of lugging my 4x10 all over the place but i still want a loud output.

In terms of all the RMS, Watts, power jargon im not amazing with it. Would useing an omni 10 be able to cope with the GK head? I need to read up a lot before going about making this as i want to get it spot on 1st try... :)

Edited by the_house123

The O10 is fairly large for a 2x10, probably about the same size as a compact 4x10, but the big saving is weight. Mine weighs 49lbs using Eminence Beta 10s, but Eminence Basslites are about half the weight so you could probably get the weight of the cab down to not much more than 40lbs. Mind you, they're twice the price at about £70 each.

The Betas are rated at 250w and either 8 or 16 ohms so total for the cab would be 500w and 4 or 8 ohms. AFAIK the Basslites are rated at 150w and 8 ohms so the cab would be 300w and 4 ohms.

Although the Omnis are very efficient they still have the same limitations of any other 2x10 and whether or not you could feed it 500watts without it complaining I don't know.

I've built an Omni 15 - there's a build diary on here somewhere. I'm mid O10 build atm (weather keeps getting in the way).

The sound of the O15 is simply awesome, really deep and low, yet clear and transparent in the mids, with punchy highs (all courtesy of the crossover). I know Dave Perry sold his O10 nand build an O15 once he had heard one, however it is a more expesive build (£350 ish). It is a very modern sounding cab, if you like a more retro sound I've seen Bill recommend the OmniTop 15.

All the BFM stuff is much louder than there commercial counterparts, and weightwise they all seem to be lighter. Despite the fact that my O15 is the size of a 6x10 it is much much lighter (more like a 1x15).

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you go with, be it O15, O10, 2 x O10.5s or an OmniTop15.

Edited by gilmour

:brow:

Sorry Finn, but if it makes you feel any better I went through your build thread a couple of times - back when i was [i]lurking[/i] before I started min

Put simply the Omni 15 is the best sounding cab i've ever played through

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='gilmour' post='173583' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:02 AM']:brow:

Sorry Finn, but if it makes you feel any better I went through your build thread a couple of times - back when i was [i]lurking[/i] before I started min

Put simply the Omni 15 is the best sounding cab i've ever played through[/quote]

I blame all of you! I Am set on making one this summer because of you lot! :) However im still torn between a omni 10 or 15.

Given the choise to start from scratch having not made one of these before, which cab would you choose? In terms of low end, is the 15 that much better?

[quote name='finnbass' post='173459' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:39 PM']You mean my own Omni15 build thread left you cold.....

I'm hurt :)[/quote]

:blush: :blush:

I must have missed that Finn.

Just had a look and it's right at the bottom end of the DIY section. I know you're pulling my chain :huh: but I'm gonna read it at work today if I get time

[quote name='the_house123' post='173595' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:32 AM']I blame all of you! I Am set on making one this summer because of you lot! :) However im still torn between a omni 10 or 15.

Given the choise to start from scratch having not made one of these before, which cab would you choose? In terms of low end, is the 15 that much better?[/quote]

I'll let you know once I've finished making my O10, but from what Dave Perry says - yes there is no comparison the low end of the 15 is much stronger (he's posted a review on Bill's site and Finnbass), but it is a lot less portable, and will cost more.

In terms of difficulty I'd say there's not much in it, the wiring for the O15 is a bit trickier because of the crossover, and the O15 will cost a lot more to make, but i can't give an exact price as most of my O10 is being built with 'leftovers'

[quote name='gilmour' post='174299' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:07 AM']I'll let you know once I've finished making my O10, but from what Dave Perry says - yes there is no comparison the low end of the 15 is much stronger (he's posted a review on Bill's site and Finnbass), but it is a lot less portable, and will cost more.[/quote]

Humm, thats why id love a omni 15, purly based on its low end. i love playing Dub and its all about low end with a bass... i mean isnt that what a bass was made for!?! :)
Seriously though, if you could let me know gilmour when you have finished your omni10 build that would be excelent. I will wait with great interest!
Im also going to have to get the old measuring tape out to see if an omni 15 would even fit in my terriably small car. *daewoo lanos* - quite simply the most awfull car ever made!

[quote name='gilmour' post='174299' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:07 AM']In terms of difficulty I'd say there's not much in it, the wiring for the O15 is a bit trickier because of the crossover, and the O15 will cost a lot more to make, but i can't give an exact price as most of my O10 is being built with 'leftovers'[/quote]

Im not too fussed about the difficulty of the build as i love building things, helping out with DIY etc.. etc.. its just my thing i quess. However the only thing id say id have a slight problem with would be the wiring as im going to link it to my newly bought GK which as you hopefully know has the biamping output.
This could be tricky as i dont have the 1st clue about even thinking about wiring a cab to that. :wacko:

I have no idea about how to biamp it i'm afraid - Alex Clabber will probably know. I'd be surprised if you need to though, it is very loud.

The crossover will be ok to build as long as you take your time.

You should read Dave Perry thought's for his comarison as he's already built both...
[url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5374"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5374[/url]

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='gilmour' post='174623' date='Apr 11 2008, 03:37 PM']I have no idea about how to biamp it i'm afraid - Alex Clabber will probably know.[/quote]

One 'b'!

Don't try biamping it, the crossove point is too high (5kHz on the GK vs 2.5kHz on the Omni).

You could relabel the tweeter level knob as your 'bad mofo' or 'punch' or 'warmth' or whatever control to keep foolish producers/engineers happy! :)

Lee Sklar: "I used to have a bass with a "producer switch" on it. That's what I called it. All I did was drill a hole and install a toggle switch; it wasn't wired to anything. When the producer would ask for something different, I'd flip the switch and he'd go [gives a thumbs-up sign], "That's great!""

Alex

rite, omni 15 it is! Low end is what i want, and the 15 will give me it. I would love to hear one of these before it build it though. Anyone around oxford or the South east London area (croydon) that has an omni 15 that they wouldn't mind me having a quick listen to?

In terms of the biamp, looks like its not a good idea to do that then. lol o well...not a bad loss.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='174634' date='Apr 11 2008, 03:50 PM']You could relabel the tweeter level knob as your 'bad mofo' or 'punch' or 'warmth' or whatever control to keep foolish producers/engineers happy! :huh:[/quote]

there goes my tea! :)

Edited by the_house123

[quote name='alexclaber' post='174634' date='Apr 11 2008, 03:50 PM']One 'b'![/quote]

Sorry Alex, really pisses me off when people call me 'Gilmore' so I should know better.

[quote name='the_house123' post='174641' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:00 PM']rite, omni 15 it is! Low end is what i want, and the 15 will give me it. I would love to hear one of these before it build it though. Anyone around oxford or the South east London area (croydon) that has an omni 15 that they wouldn't mind me having a quick listen to?[/quote]

I'm in Reading - PM me if you want to come by.