Why become a member? ×

What strings for Fender Jazz

Quest_bikerider

Probably a question that has been asked a million times before on here, but I just wanted some opinions on the best strings to arm my Fender US jazz bass with, its the active deluxe version with 24 frets, & I think its about time i changed them (cant remember the last time!) :unsure: . I havnt been playing very long & there are so many different types/size out there it seems confusing. DR strings have been reccomended but I dont know what there like. Im looking for that nice gravely sound. Cheers Marc. :D

I've been playing around with a few on my jazz basses recently and I guess is depends on the style/sound are you looking for.

At the moment overral I like D'addario nickelwound strings with a quite light G but fairly heavy E. They have a nice bright sound to them are don't break the bank. I also tried some flats which were interesting, especially for finger style but they do feel really different as they are smooth rather than ridged. I do like to play a bit of slap at home so they are no good for that and therefore would only recommend if you have a couple of basses and have those on one.

Thanks for the info. Im very much in the learning stage at the moment at the bottom end of intermediate I would say, so a long way to go. Not really thought about slap style yet bit advanced for me, as for music I pretty much like anything but lean towards rock/pop.
Strings I have at the moment I think are Rotosound & the G seems a little harsh compared tou the others so Im trying to get a more ballenced sound here as well as (as Iv said) a gravely sound, Im not sure weather just a new set of strings will acheive this.

Unfortunately (for your pocket) it's a trial and error thing finding the right strings for yourself. I use DR Sunbeams on my jazz and now that I do I wouldn't use anything esle. I tried quite a few different manufacturers strings including other DR ones till I found the ones I liked.
You can usually find fairly decent youtube videos for each string, here's one for sunbeams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY7qmW2FYsI
Everyone has their own preference and can can only really tell you what they like. Maybe the thing to do would be to decide what type of sound you want and then look at the different string types/compositions to help you narrow the search.
Good luck.

Edited by kennyrodg

Not sure what you mean by gravelly? Perhaps your mean 'burpy'? If it is, that's a tone I would try to get by playing fairly hard fingerstyle close to the bridge.
As for strings, I use DR Marcus Millers and DR Sunbeams. Whichever I feel like when I'm buying a new set! Both have a nice clear tone but not too much zing which I feel Rotosounds and d'adarios have.
To echo other sentiments, just buy and try until you find a sound you're after. But it's always worth playing around with the tone controls and experimenting with your playing style too!

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for all your comments. Without really knowing what I was doing with respect to replacing my strings (newbie syndrome) I eventually went for DR Fatbeams .45 - 1.05 on reccomendation. All I can say is 'WOW' maybe its because I havnt replaced them for i cant remember when but my bass now sounds fantastic & without too much of a comparison i think the sound is what I was after, its got me on the 'which strings learning curve' anyway.