Why become a member? ×

Difference between J & P chrome pup cover

Roland Rock

I've been informed by a BCer that the pup cover on my Precision is actually a Jazz one. I bought it as a Precision one (from EBay), but maybe that's a lesson in itself.
A quick look online brings up various images, but to be honest, I'm struggling to see the difference between P ones online and my one. Are the P ones wider to cover the wider pickup? If so, how wide is a proper P cover?

Anyway, I was perfectly happy with it until this was pointed out, and now it will bug me, so I'd like a P one if mine is not the correct one. That's how shallow I am.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Edited by Roland Rock

The P ones have the same width throughout, whereas the J ones have a kind of bulge in the middle. Putting that another way, if you look at the bass square on from the front, then the P one is much more rectangular, whereas the J one has more of a (convex) lense shape.

Hah. I bought it with the bridge cover on and saw no reason to take it off. Then when I refinished it last year, I thought I'd go the whole hog as I love the retro look. I'm exclusively playing reggae now, so I only pick near the neck. I also find it's good to rest the palm and pluck with the fleshy part of the thumb for super fat tones.

After further research, I'm 100% sure mine is a J cover, so It's sold and a P one is on its way.
Thanks for your help all.