Why become a member? ×

Ashdown 330 (Spyder)

Pow_22

Went to my local PMT today to have a noodle on the Modern Player tele they have in there (loving tele's since getting my Squier!). Anyway, normally they have a lovely Ampeg BA300 SP combo to try their gear out with but today they had an Ashdown 4x10 (not sure if new style MAG or ABM) and the 330 head - the Spyder 550's little bro. I was very impressed with it to say the least. Obviously didnt crank it so not sure if it could handle my two guitarists and drummer who plays with hammers - but it did sound very sweet. I know there are a few 550 owners on here but anyone regularly use/gig the little un? Im working on selling my current rig and already have replacements lined up but the 330 could be something for a little fun and maybe gig, if it has the balls.

Was in PMT earlier in the week, and if I'd had more time I'd have tried the 330 Spyder out (I spent all my time with the SR1200) - I had a 550 Spyder briefly, and I loved the tone. I'd be interested in any reviews, if only due to idle curiosity (happy with my RH450).

The SR1200 was...disappointing. The pickups are great (Nordy Big Splits), but it didn't feel £500 better than a SR500 - the wood in particular was bland and not finished very well. I'd really wanted to like it, too.

Seems the difference (other than obvious power) is the power stage of the 330 is the same as the old MAG series whereas the 550 is from an AMB 500. Id like to really crank the 330 but last time i played loud in there the sales staff all looked at me like id walked into their house on xmas day and pissed on their turkey

Seems changing the valves in these is what most people have done. Ive read some varying stories of whats in there as stock. Some say they opened up to find 2 x ax7's and some say an ax7 and an another that slips my mind at this ungodly hour. What did you drop in it out of interest?

Mine had an AX7 and an AU7. I changed them both for electro harmonix AX7s to get a little more break up in the pre. However, I don't know what they have in them nowadays - this is one of the earlier, UK built amps.

I actually love the eq; ok, it's not the most versatile but it's passive, and set up right gives a lush thick tone. The one thing I've noticed is that the bass and mid shifts completely change the character of the amp - with them off it's voiced in a similar way to an orange or marshall, but engaged it really does get into svt territory. I guess it is a bit of a one trick pony, but I'm pretty bloody fond of that trick. :)

Got mine today in a great deal from Thomann. Opened it up and mine has a JJAX7 in the main position then a no-name chinese AX7B behind the UV Metre. Ive ordered a Brimar AX7 that ill pit in instead of the JJ and a Brimar 12AT7 to switch in place of the chinese. Hopefully this will give a bit of breakup but not too much fuzz. If it dosent overdrive slightly ill replace the AT7 with the JJ AX7 it came with. This sound ok?

I picked up a 550 a while back. I'd been using an ABM 500 for years which I liked but I often wished it was a little more transparent. I find the 550, when EQ'd correctly has the warmth of the ABM series but with more clarity.

Mine came stock with a pair of Shuguang 12AX7Bs (Silver dragons.) After swapping a multitude of valves in and out I found that my preferred combination was an old Telefunken 12AX7 in the position by the input and an EHX 12AU7 behind the VU meter; that pair gave the amp a minuscule amount of grit with a lot of detail.

• 4 weeks later...