Why become a member? ×

HK project

Dread Bass

So i bought this bass a year ago. The idea was to buy something cheap to get me used to the idea of a seven string while awaiting my ACG custom. Looking back through ebay it cost me £190 used (i thought it was less but its still a good deal). These basses are made in Korea and sold under different names. Wolf, Woodo, HK and probably more. I wonder if the wolf name explains the wolf inlay.

Spec is: :
7-String Neck Through 35"
Bubinga Burl Top and back
Ash body
Hard Maple + Palisander Neck
Rosewood fingerboard.

The bass has some pros and some cons.

[u]Pros[/u][list]
[*]Seems fairly well put together.
[*]Burl Bubinga Top is very nice and looks expensive.
[*]plays fairly well
[*]Slim neck
[*]Sounds ok
[*]Hardware is Wilkinson and pickups are Kent Armstrong.
[*]It has a wolf on it.
[/list]

[u]Cons[/u][list]
[*]Its HEAVY. I would guess around the 14 pound mark. A guess but it is a lot heavier than my ACG 6 and 7.
[*]It sounds just ok. (I never changed the strings though so i am reserving judgement.
[*]The finish is poor. If you look at the pics they even missed a section where the neck meets the body. You can feel all the transitions between the woods.
[*]Its neck heavy. its not terrible but i would like it to be better.
[/list]

I have decided to keep it and clean it up as its so difficult to get lefty 7 strings. The mods i am planning are: new strings, refinish, shield cavities (preamp, batteries and pickups), New preamp and maybe new hardware (ultralights to help with balance)

I am in no real rush to do this as i am not using high f tuning just now but it would be nice to get it up and running. The upgrades will be money dependent though as this will never be my main bass.

Sorry for poor quality pics.

Well i removed all the hardware this afternoon.

Found some interesting things. Attached is some of the progress pics. Not the tidiest control cavity i have seen. It did have a couple of bits shielded but it was pretty bad. I have never seen an earth wire like this before but i have never taken individual bridge units off before.

Stage two will be sanding, sanding and more sanding. for people with more experience like a novice like me the top has an open grain with cracks. What would be the best way to refinish?

Edited by Dread Bass

Hi,Mate
I had a lefty like this was a good bass this might be my old one
so i got hold of a 5 string & will be refinishing the bass as the finish is not so good
plus i have some nice headless 5 string parts so will be having a chat with
Jon shuker to make the bass a headless,will keep my eye on this thread looks cool :)

Edited by wildus

[quote name='wildus' timestamp='1329840860' post='1548309']
Hi,Mate
I had a lefty like this was a good bass this might be my old one
so i got hold of a 5 string & will be refinishing the bass as the finish is not so good
plus i have some nice headless 5 string parts so will be having a chat with
Jon shuker to make the bass a headless,will keep my eye on this thread looks cool :)
[/quote]

Hey dude.

i am sure this is your old bass.

Havny made any other progress yet. Night out with the girl Tuesday then band practice Wednesday last night and tonight. Should get the sanding done tomorrow with any luck.

[quote name='david_l_perry' timestamp='1330257129' post='1554620']
To be honest I was astounded how good this looked at moffat considering what you paid for it. This will be Well worth the effort im sure. Alans original 01 pre amps are now available for the first time and would be a great upgrade.
Dave
[/quote]

Your not wrong Dave. Its coming along pretty well. I am thinking of going for an 01 preamp for this after falling in love with my Recurve 6 string again. Its going to cost more than the bass did but will make it sound 100 times better.

Looks like it BassHertz. This is now a Basschat bass and i will have to do it up well to sell to the next lefty. It is heavy though your right.

I have finished all the sanding except the inside of the horns.

I am busy tomorrow night, Friday and Sat so i will make progress on Sunday.

Edited by Dread Bass

just read the bit about the poor shielding in the electronics cavity. I shielded it all properly but then I noticed that the battery kept running flat when unplugged. Turns out that you cant allow the pots to touch ground in that preamp. So i removed as much as i could without taking it all to bits

Anyway...any updates LOL

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...