Why become a member? ×

Occasional noise on volume pot

Alun

Hello. I recently replaced the volume control on my Cort Curbow as the old one was occasionally a little intermittent when it was on about 9 and no amount of cleaning helped.

So, I sourced a 25k pot from Allparts, wired it up and all was fine. However, now I'm occasionally getting a loud pop when I turn down ( around 9 again). It's not always there and there seems to be no obvious rhyme or reason to what causes it. Anyone had anything similar? I've checked the soldering and it looks OK and intact.

I'm guessing possibly a dry joint somewhere or could it actually be a preamp issue?

Any help/advice/educated guesses much appreciated :)

Cheers
Alun

if it's a sort of crackling sound it could just be dirty or something, try using some contact cleaner on it. You can buy it from most car related shops i think.

EDIT: [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4153&TabID=1&C=SO&U=Strat330&doy=search&MenuName=CONTACT%20CLEANER"]here's[/url] some in maplin, only £4 so worth a go.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='171714' date='Apr 7 2008, 07:59 PM']if it's a sort of crackling sound it could just be dirty or something, try using some contact cleaner on it. You can buy it from most car related shops i think.

EDIT: [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4153&TabID=1&C=SO&U=Strat330&doy=search&MenuName=CONTACT%20CLEANER"]here's[/url] some in maplin, only £4 so worth a go.[/quote]

Thanks mate, Alas, it's not a crackling at all, just a single loud pop like a jack being pulled out. Have been trying to reproduce it today and failing miserably, it's totally well behaved for now :)

Cheers
Alun

I have a Cort C5. After the first time I changed the battery, it kept going dead and then coming back on again (loud pops as it did so). Originally, I thought it was the leads I was using and kept replacing everything to no avail - damn intermittent issues!
Anyway, there is a ground cable in the battery/electronics cavity which is heavily soldered to the casing of something. (sorry, long time since I have done this so can't fully remember).

Anyway, that joint was a dry one, and eventually fell off completely. I remember it being a bugger to solder back on because the casing wasn't very good at taking the solder.

I don't know if this is relevant, buy at least it's something to look for?

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='172343' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:47 PM']I have a Cort C5. After the first time I changed the battery, it kept going dead and then coming back on again (loud pops as it did so). Originally, I thought it was the leads I was using and kept replacing everything to no avail - damn intermittent issues!
Anyway, there is a ground cable in the battery/electronics cavity which is heavily soldered to the casing of something. (sorry, long time since I have done this so can't fully remember).

Anyway, that joint was a dry one, and eventually fell off completely. I remember it being a bugger to solder back on because the casing wasn't very good at taking the solder.

I don't know if this is relevant, buy at least it's something to look for?[/quote]

Thanks HH, I recently resoldered my battery cavity for a similar issue and you're right, it was a pain to find the cause!

My bass has behaved since I posted ( sod's law!) so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Cheers
Alun

• 2 years later...