Why become a member? ×

Hurley Virtuoso pick up, mince or what?

ceilidhswinger

So, this pup is now installed, not too much fuss but I had to file down the treble side slot for it to fit. The Hurley has noticeably less output than the Full Circle. I played with the tightness of the Hurley a bit but that just changed the tone and not output really. To me the FC is fuller and more even up and down the register, but darker than the Hurley. The Hurley has a nice treble ping to the attack and a bigger bottom, almost sounds more "open".

I made a few no frills recordings, this is the bass into an Art tube MP preamp into my audio device on the laptop. These were wavs that I converted to mp3 for size. Probably best to use head phones or good speakers. The bass is a cheap hybrid with med-high action and Velvet Animas. Be gentle on my playing ;)

The Hurley [attachment=100257:fc-hurley-compare-hurley.mp3]

The Full Circle [attachment=100256:fc-hurley-compare-fc.mp3]

EDIT: I tried to attach these files as mp3. It saves them with a different extension for some reason. If you download it then change the extension to mp3 it will play. Not sure how else to upload these. I tried Sound Cloud but it buggared the sound of the file and introduced noise <_<

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1329576730' post='1544450']
So, this pup is now installed, not too much fuss but I had to file down the treble side slot for it to fit. The Hurley has noticeably less output than the Full Circle. I played with the tightness of the Hurley a bit but that just changed the tone and not output really. To me the FC is fuller and more even up and down the register, but darker than the Hurley. The Hurley has a nice treble ping to the attack and a bigger bottom, almost sounds more "open".

I made a few no frills recordings, this is the bass into an Art tube MP preamp into my audio device on the laptop. These were wavs that I converted to mp3 for size. Probably best to use head phones or good speakers. The bass is a cheap hybrid with med-high action and Velvet Animas. Be gentle on my playing ;)

EDIT: I tried to attach these files as mp3. It saves them with a different extension for some reason. If you download it then change the extension to mp3 it will play. Not sure how else to upload these. I tried Sound Cloud but it buggared the sound of the file and introduced noise <_<
[/quote][quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1329576730' post='1544450']

[/quote]

Well done Tom, thanks for taking the time to do this, I have to say like Gareth I also preferred the Hurley. Sounded beefier, with more attack! Don't get me wrong your pup sounded very good too but for me The Hurley has more balls and cut through better. I also enjoyed the playing, again well done! I was going to hold out for a second hand Underwood but now I'm away to grab one of those bad boys

Cheers
Calum

I used the Hurley last all last night at the open mic. This is a place that I regularly attend and we use the same PA (2 Bose L1 Compacts, one on each side of the stage) and settings which helps for the comparison. The bass went into an MXR80 preamp. I know this may sound like an odd choice but it's quite neutral and it also serves as a preamp for the other bass players on the night. Please keep in mind that these results are my experience with my bass and my style of playing. Other results will vary ;)

The Hurley did a good job, both the guitarist and percussionist thought it sounded good and the guitarist liked the way it sounded in the mix (he runs the PA). I was standing right next to the PA and we had no feedback at all at a moderate volume. The tone to me had more clarity than the FC but didn't have the girth I get from the FC on my bass. In those two recordings the Hurley is brighter with a little more booty but that didn't seem to translate to the live environment as much as I though it would. Also, some notes jumped out more than others with the Hurley, but it still more than covered the job. I'm a little picky and I have a sound in my head that I can get with the FC. I'm sure with some dicking around on the eq the Hurley could do the same.

In comparison to a BassMax which was used on this bass for a year, the Hurley sounds more natural. The BassMax always sounded a bit "plasticy". I don't know if that's because it was used with synthetic strings or if it's just the nature of that pickup. The BM has more low end than the Hurley but that isn't always what you want when running a double bass through amplification. It almost seems to me like it has a smiley face profile to it. The Hurley seems flatter in response. It would be great to hear other views from you BM owners about this. It could just be the way it responded to my bass.

The Hurley represents very good value. The tone is articulate and usable and IMO will easily cover most styles with out too much fuss. Personally, I'm sticking with the FC on this bass but am planning on installing the Hurley when my EUB gets a revamp in the summer.

Now, I'd like to offer the Hurley on trial to anyone who wants to try it, like Alex's Compact that made the rounds. Hopefully you will be gigging and can get some road miles on it to help with comparisons to other pickups you may be using or have used. It would be helpful for others if we can figure out generally where this pickup fits in the spectrum. If there is enough interest, I'll start another thread to keep track of the pup.

Good review TPJ. I'd take you up on the road testing offer but mine is winging it's way across the Atlantic right now. I used to use a BassMax - albeit a Double Bass Max with a pickup for each slot - so I'll do my best to compare the two from memory. I currently use a Schatten RB for my wing slot pickup so I'll give a comparison to that. Onwards!!!

That's a great review Tom, I bought one on PAY-PAL last night on the strength of listening to your clips so can't wait to try.

My plan is to use Hurley on my back up bass along with BP100 then plug both into KK blender and blend both. For my main bass I use Underwood and BP100 then thru KK which I think works well. I know The Fishman get bad press but I like it for the most part. I find the combo of both irons out any dead spots or quiet notes. I think what you are doing is great! When I think of the money I have spent over the years on mikes and pick-ups amps and stuff,it would have been great to have a try before you buy up and running. This site is a great resource too for tech problems advice and bouncing ideas off other players, just wish it was here 25 years ago, would have saved me a fortune.

All the best
Calum