Why become a member? ×

Walking Bass Lines Book

Joe Hubbard Bass

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1358713409' post='1943967']
I'd like to point out here that I completely agree with Joe on the subject of TAB. It is unnecessary, and exists only to sell books. I don't use it in my own theory books (those published through Bassline Publishing), but I was TOLD to use it for the book that you mention. When I wrote that book I was under contract with Sanctuary Publishing, and despite my protestations, they insisted on TAB being included.

Stuart
[/quote]
Wow! It's great to hear the author's viewpoint. Someone told me the answer is "masking tape". But defacing a book isn't something I'm comfortable with.
I should add; I wrote the last post on a "bad day" It's a great book and I WILL stick with it. I would actually recommend it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1358842619' post='1945781']
Wow! It's great to hear the author's viewpoint. Someone told me the answer is "masking tape". But defacing a book isn't something I'm comfortable with.
I should add; I wrote the last post on a "bad day" It's a great book and I WILL stick with it. I would actually recommend it.
[/quote]

Hi Grangur,

Masking tape is one way of doing it for sure! I used to do that with all my old Bassist magazines. Don't worry, I didn't take your comments as a personal insult, I just wanted to clarify why TAB was included in that book.

I generally disapprove of 'crash course' books, and 'learn X in 24 hours', which was one of the reasons I stopped writing for other publishers. I dislike the implication that there is a shortcut to learning something that takes years of patient study to master, which is why I prefer to publish independently now

.If you're interested in learning to read properly, let me have your address and I'll send you a complimentary copy of my new book 'The Bass Guitarist's Guide to Reading Music - Beginner Level'. It's being released (along with the other two in the series) at the beginning of March at the London Bass Show. No TAB in sight!

Best wishes
Stuart

Edited by Stuart Clayton

But...since this is my thread, be sure to also check out my sight reading book that is currently endorsed by:

- Damien Erskine
- Bruce Gertz (Berklee Professor)
- Roy Vogt (Nashville session ace)
- Dann Glenn
- Rufus Philpot

[url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/purchase-cds/"]http://www.joehubbardbass.com/purchase-cds/[/url]

This book is actually four different books in one and nothing like exists on the market.

All the Bass

Joe

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Parker85' timestamp='1353529129' post='1875736']
at the moment I'm stuck with tab.
[/quote]

Ditch it now, never look at another tab as long you live except in the direst emergency. I mean there is an argument for resorting to it because theres some really fast hard to hear line that you want a second opinion on but, seriously, using it to play structured lesson material ... hell no, under any circumstances :yarr: . Totally agree with Joe, tab is poison to you ears and mind.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1359321194' post='1953124']
Ditch it now, never look at another tab as long you live except in the direst emergency. I mean there is an argument for resorting to it because theres some really fast hard to hear line that you want a second opinion on but, seriously, using it to play structured lesson material ... hell no, under any circumstances :yarr: . Totally agree with Joe, tab is poison to you ears and mind.
[/quote]
Totally agree. Learning to read and finding the notes on the fretboard may be slow, but it teaches you the fretboard and it makes you a REAL musician. If you only play tabs it's like doing "painting by numbers" and calling yourself an artist. IMHO :P

Just to get this thread back onto the book. I've had it near enough a year now and it's been the most useful source of information I've ever had. It completely simplifies how to think when approaching improvising on the bass (not just jazz or walking, as the idea is transferable to everything). The method that joe uses I also use for analysing transcriptions. This has made them easier to understand and manipulate into my own playing.

It's maybe also worth noting that to get the most out of this book you need use your imagination a bit and create lots of variables out of the information given and make sure you transcribe to see how others have used the same ideas.

Anyone with the book that doesn't understand what I mean send me a PM and I'll explain, I'm being vague as I don't want to give any of joes methods away when they're not mine to give.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying this book anyway and have since started to learn to read notes, it's not as difficult as I imagined it to be but I'm still slow at reading them. It's a lot more fun than using tab :) Now I'm just trying to get my theory knowledge up to scratch so I can get the most out of this book.