Why become a member? ×

funk those changes

ChSwho?

So when I play over a funky drum beat I can get funky ... where Im having trouble right now is that Im struggleing to keep a solid funk when I play over changes. Does that make sense? I was wonder how any of you might approach playing a deep funk over changes. Like, what is the ground floor of thoughts that your thinking about when you both play through changes and still remain sunk into the groove? Is there a basic motif you use that you then develop off of? Im trying to marry a hard gut groove and still being attentive enough to also progress with the song.

any tips?

thanks.

Ah! That's the secret, isn't it?

I'll be honest, it's not easy. (I can't really do it very well so I write all the songs for my band with very simple changes.)

You can go one of two ways: you can either play like a riff-based player and whack out a different riff under each chord change or you can play like a disco-type player and groove with the various arpeggios and octaves on each chord. Or if you don't want to limit yourself, mix up the two.

I'm more of a riff-based guy myself. One of the great modern disco-funk bass performances is by Nick Fyffe on Jamiroquai's [i]Love Foolosophy[/i]. Completely different style to my own but grooves away like a mutha.

If it's not working, just play a little less and pick your moment. Try some Louis Johnson-style 16th note syncopation just before or after the 1, 2, 3, or 4. If you're keeping it simple for most of it, then you can always play a cool fill to transition from one section to another.

There are lots of options but the best advice for building a groove through difficult changes is to start off simple.

EDIT: Another tip - feel the groove, think about the changes. Does that make sense?

Edited by The Funk

hey thanks for the reply ... after checking out your stuff as well I can see you dont struggle so much with this .. ah ha

Ill try and incorporate that into my practice....

So its just a practice thing I guess? To equally play along with the drum kit and to push the melody of the song.... I have things in my head Im trying to get but Im having trouble getting them ....

Absolutely - its just a practice thing; getting familiar with the chord changes and then incorporating the harmonic details into the rhythmic phrasing of the funk genre (or, more accurately, the other way around). One of the secrets is understanding the phrasing of chords (on the beat or off etc). That will figure heavily in your funkification decisions!

('funkification' - I have just invented a new word and I LIKE it!!)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='171179' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:57 AM']('funkification' - I have just invented a new word and I LIKE it!!)[/quote]

Not quite.. :)

[url="http://www.themusicquarium.co.uk/funkification/"]http://www.themusicquarium.co.uk/funkification/[/url]

Garry

[quote name='ChSwho?' post='170837' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:33 PM']So when I play over a funky drum beat I can get funky ... where Im having trouble right now is that Im struggleing to keep a solid funk when I play over changes. Does that make sense? ........any tips?[/quote]
Yes... get Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen CD. The funkiest thing you'll hear in a very long time. They have one chord grooves and complicated changes all done in style. For me this is the funk reference CD that every one should own.

Sadly, you've just missed their only London gig, last night at the 100 Club. They are way better live.