Why become a member? ×

Problem with Bolin NS5 volume and tone controls

Godfrey

I have a Bolin NS5 that suddenly stopped working - no signal out. I checked in the main cavity and behind the double battery box (it's an 18v preamp) and found a wire off behind the battery box - the loop between the two batteries.
I soldered that back on and the bass started working again, however, neither of the volume controls for the main pickup or the piezo under the bridge will turn down to 'off' and the tone controls have minimal effect.
I've had a look in the main cavity again and can see nothing obvious - has anyone any ideas about what I might have done wrong please? (It was working fine before so it must be something I've done). Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Hi warwickhunt - thanks for your reply.
No - I imported this bass directly from Bolin Guitars back in 2004. It was originally fretless but I could never get it to sound just as I wanted so subsequently had it fretted.
The only thing I've done is solder back the loop wire on the battery box to where it seemed obvious it had come from, but I somehow seem to have upset something by doing that, which I find a bit of a mystery.
The thing that would be most helpful if you could be bothered, is to ease out the battery box and photograph the connections so I could check I have got it right. I'll fully understand if you don't want to do that though.
Cheers

Too many variables going on here.
Some parts are obviously Fishman, some parts are potentially EMG and both companies make an OEM range that is supplied to manufacturers only.

Reconnecting the link wire between the two batteries has got you closer to where you are supposed to be but there is something 'else' going on in there as well.

EMG often use a solderless solution (little push on connectors) so my best 'blind guess' is that perhaps one or more of those connectors has managed to become dislodged.
Pull the battery cage out of the cavity and carefully inspect the rest of the wiring and make sure it's all seated properly and nothing is flopping around disconnected.

Really appreciate your help.
Below (I hope) are a couple of pictures. The battery box shows what I repaired - the connection on the loop wire to the left - hard see how that could be wrong or cause any problem with the volume or tone circuitry? Is this the same as your battery connections?
The other shows inside the main panel. I haven't altered or disturbed (knowingly) anything in there, nor can I see anything loose or dislodged - mystery!
Godfrey[attachment=99571:BatteryBox.jpg][attachment=99572:Preamp1.jpg]

Again - thank you both [b]warwickhunt[/b] and [b]icastle[/b] for your help - think I've cracked it!
First, thanks [b]warwickhunt[/b] for confirming the battery wiring is right.
Second,[b] icastle [/b]prompted me to look at the internal wiring again. I decided to go through it all again and carefully check the ends of each and every wire. I took off the EMG pickup first, sure enough push fit connections underneath it but apparently OK. After first checking all the other easily visible ones, I took the preamp board off it's mounting and discovered that amongst the bunch of wires attached to the back of it, one end has come off. I had looked before and not seen it, but this time I was inspecting everything with a magnifying glass.
All I need to do now is get it repaired. The soldering required is far too fine for me to do so I'll get my local guitar tech to look at it. At least I'll be able to point him straight to the fault (assuming it's the only one!), so he won't have to spend time looking for it.
I really am grateful for your help and inspiration - thanks again.
Godfrey

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1328705997' post='1531382']
I can photograph my Bolin 4 controls and see if it helps you spot the potential problem.

Just out of interest is this bass the one that Owen had (formerly mine)... just like keeping track of it.
[/quote]

Daf Lewis has that now and it is fretless.

• 5 months later...