Why become a member? ×

Drivers - advice wanted? Not sure where else to look

Freddie75

Hello fellow bass chatters,

Once again, I turn to you guys for some advice as not sure where else to look.

The lowdown:
I have 2 Epifani PS210 cabs and have been toying with the idea of upgrading the standard drivers with higher powered / lighter drivers.

Each cab currently contains 2 x 16ohm 200watt eminence drivers and I would be looking to replace with 2 x 250/300 drivers.

I use a Hartke LH1000 and a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 so it would have to be a move good for both of the heads.

Is it worth doing? What are my options? What are the best options and where within the UK can I purchase?

I don't really have much knowledge in this area so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Freddie

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1328561543' post='1529209']
I don't really have much knowledge in this area so any help would be appreciated.
[/quote]
A great deal of knowledge is required for a successful result. For one thing the power rating of the drivers has no direct relationship with output capability. IMO if you don't like what you have sell them and buy something you do like.

It's a bit like saying you are going to improve the handling of a Porche by fitting some bigger shock absorbers from a double decker bus. The cab and speakers are designed to work together. It'll work,in the same way as the shocks would work from a bus but it is pretty unlikely to be an improvement.

You can make home build cabs as good as or better than shop built ones but you either have to use a recognised design or learn how to match speaker and cab. If you are the sort of person who is happy to learn and experiment and risk going wrong sometimes, it is really rewarding but you've got to build the cabs for your drivers not try to recycle old cabs. Aren't Epifanis a bit expensive to just use as timber?

Go onto the Eminence website if you want to read more and have a read of some of the build diaries on here. If you decide home building is for you then we'll give you some more links. Believe me you'll get plenty of advice in this forum.

Cheers

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1328565033' post='1529322']
A great deal of knowledge is required for a successful result. For one thing the power rating of the drivers has no direct relationship with output capability. IMO if you don't like what you have sell them and buy something you do like.
[/quote]

always this..imo.