Why become a member? ×

little help with connecting....(with a pic for ease!)

clashcityrocker

OK.

Youve got a stereo switched socket there.

The easiest way to wire it up is:

The two contacts [b]nearest [/b]the plate - connect them both together and that becomes your negative speaker connection.

The two contacts [b]furthest[/b] away the plate - connect them both together and that becomes your positive speaker connection.

Ignore the two middle contacts.

HTH

Edited by icastle

bloody Maplins sold me the wrong thing then!? cheers for your help,how do i connect the plates together?then how to i connect the speaker wires?!
cheers mate
i could go back and swap it for the 'correct' item, do you know what that would be?
its 1 15inch speaker so just a pos/neg

Edited by clashcityrocker

Not really 'wrong' just a little bit excessive for the task. :)

This is going to be a solder job obviously.

What I'd do is strip the speaker cable back about an inch, tin it and then feed it through both holes (as described above).
Once you've done that then it's just a case of soldering the prepared wire across the two contacts and then repeating for the other cable.

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1328460744' post='1527382']
i could go back and swap it for the 'correct' item, do you know what that would be?
[/quote]

You could get a 1/4" unswitched mono socket but in all honesty, it'll take you longer to go out and swap it than it would to use it as described (you're making two extra solder connections is all, and those two extra connections are there purely to remove any ambiguity in my description).

It'll make absolutely no difference to the sound or performance of the cab.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1328467345' post='1527561']
Only slight risk with a stereo socket is you get two clicks as you push it in, as the tip bumps the ring conector, important you don't think it is in when you feel that and keep going until the second click.
[/quote]

Very true.
You could pull the centre contacts out with a pair of pliers if that becomes an issue.

I would suggest inserting a jack plug and then you'll be able to see which socket terminals are connecting with the plug and how the (unwanted) switching action works. It should then be obvious how to wire it up (remove the plug before soldering though).

As icastle says, it's not really the wrong socket, just a bit of overkill really and hardly worth a trip back to Maplin when it will do the job.