Why become a member? ×

Bass-heavy Ableton Live Mix - new tune and vid

urb

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1328383588' post='1526326']
Really enjoyed that (headphones on to get the full bass flavour!).
[/quote]

Cheers fella - yeah headphones will give you the proper maximum bassiness of this track... more to come I hope

Thanks for listening

Mike

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1328432494' post='1526708']
That's really good, made nice start to my morning :)
[/quote]

Thanks fella - I've still got a lot to learn here but hey I love working in Ableton - everything seems to happen so much quicker... I guess it's because I get less bogged down in perfecting takes and just laying down ideas - best way to work for me

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1328541302' post='1528697']
Thanks fella - I've still got a lot to learn here but hey I love working in Ableton - everything seems to happen so much quicker... I guess it's because I get less bogged down in perfecting takes and just laying down ideas - best way to work for me
[/quote]

Sounds cool Mike.

If you have started to use A Live,
You might want to check out the controllers for it.
Akai & Novation have Ableton mapped units that are dead easy to use and very creative.
I have the Akai Apc20, the smaller brother of the Apc40, and it's Fab to use.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SH4g4FHZHw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SH4g4FHZHw[/url]

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1328551204' post='1528965']
Sounds cool Mike.

If you have started to use A Live,
You might want to check out the controllers for it.
Akai & Novation have Ableton mapped units that are dead easy to use and very creative.
I have the Akai Apc20, the smaller brother of the Apc40, and it's Fab to use.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SH4g4FHZHw[/media]

Garry
[/quote]

Thanks Garry

I actually just bought a couple - a Launchpad and a Line 6 footswitch - plus I have a couple of apps for my iPhone 4s for MIDI mapping (I'm really trying to hold off buying an iPad 2 - but the Lemur app looks amazing - see below) - again I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself and even mastering all the MIDI functions with my current kit takes some doing - my main plan is to use it for live looping with real musicians as opposed to go too far down the dance/electro route - but hey I'm not rulling anyting out. It's a whole new world of music but one that I think could benefit from a little more melody/harmony and less processing - or just more mashing of styles together.... the possibilities are very exciting.

Cheers

Mike

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6zOdRwgIRQ[/media]

Nice track Mike, I really like it! :)

It has a slightly different vibe to your other music that I'm aware of too (I don't mean that in better/worse context, just different). Not sure if that's a by-product of working with Ableton?? I've long been tempted to buy a copy myself - I'm constantly hearing great things about it - but I can't quite justify the time needed to learn the workings of a new DAW at the moment.

Anyway, keep us posted on how you get on with using the software. By the sound of things it's a good product!

Paul

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1328614914' post='1529912']
Nice track Mike, I really like it! :)

It has a slightly different vibe to your other music that I'm aware of too (I don't mean that in better/worse context, just different). Not sure if that's a by-product of working with Ableton?? I've long been tempted to buy a copy myself - I'm constantly hearing great things about it - but I can't quite justify the time needed to learn the workings of a new DAW at the moment.

Anyway, keep us posted on how you get on with using the software. By the sound of things it's a good product!

Paul
[/quote]

Thanls Paul glad you're digging the vibe - yes Ableton is ace - I love it and in fact I love it so much I'm beginning to prefer it to Logic - people critcise the sound quality but I think it sounds cool. All the sounds on this track were created in Ableton and while the bass sounds a bit raw I didn't spend hardly anytime tweaking the sound at all so I know I can improve on that. The main thing with Ableton is you can record multiple loops very quickly - which means you don't have to spend ages working on a perfect performance - so while it does give the music a certain 'looped' vibe you have vary and mix and match this parts in so many ways, drop effects and alter the mix in real time - and then create a different arrangement and a completely different vibe on each take that you really can make the same song sound very different each time you play it. It also records all the parts on individual tracks so you could effectively bounce these down as WAVs and mix them properly afterwards... the sky is the limit.

I've been messing around and learning stuff about all the working and processing angles for a year or more now and I'm getting more and more comfortable with it and getting a MIDI controller (Novation Launchpad) does speed things up - but I need to start building 'sets' now - which basically means assembling a virtual live set of songs - this sounds simple but I want to break them into their various elements and then be able to mess with them live.

My other goal is to prepare some stuff before hand and then get some of my super skilled jazz buddies to play with it live and create realtime loops etc - kind in a soundsystem style way... I know it's all possible - I just need to get rehearsing - it will happen! I want to try and film a couple of vids of me messing with this stuff just to see what I come up with - it's all great fun and makes the whole writing and recording process far quicker and more dynamic....

I'll keep you posted

Mike

PS here's a great example of the live looping you can do in Ableton - from 'DJ' Kevin Yost, this is wicked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXbC_yV4I0w

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzkIxUzOXA[/media]