Why become a member? ×

Double bass repair and set up - South West

BassBod

Ok, all you upstanding bass chatters - I really need to get my acoustic bass set up and sorted out (its a humble Zeller). Who do people use in the Bristol/Bath area? I'm not looking for anything pricey, just possibly a new bridge, sound post setting and a possible minor crack fix in the (carved) top....

I need names and numbers, please.....

I have just taken Jayne (50s laminate) to the [url="http://www.bristol-violin-shop.co.uk/index.php/page/browse/2"]Violin Shop[/url] on Upper Maudlin street (next to Colston Yard) for a fingerboard shoot and neck reshaping. I spoke to Mike from the workshop and he was very helpful and informative and said some very nice things about Jayne, even though she is plywood.

The work's going to take a couple of weeks so I can't comment of the quality of his work yet. I can say that Mike was very helpful, he spent quite some time explaining what he thought needed doing, what could be left alone and what would be economically nonviable, considering the value of the bass.

Price wise, the fingerboard shoot may cost up to £250, depending on whether the whole board needs working or not - this will include scraping off the ebonising gunk and applying a couple of coats of oil. The neck reshape is estimated at no more than £50.

We discusssed a new bridge, but that would be another £250 (cost of bridge plus fitting) -which is a typical price. The cost of fixing th crack will depend on where it is and how deep is is.

The best thing to do is to pop along to the violin shop with your bass and have a chat with Mike - it's the only way to get a clearer idea of costs. He's not pushy about him doing the work or anything and seems pretty happy to spend 15 or 20 minutes talking through your options. Mike's in the shop Tuesday to Friday and most Saturdays. It's best to go in during the week if you can as it's a lot quieter.

Dave

Edited by TheRev

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a follow up on this. Made the trip to Frome to see Martin Penning, and I'm very pleased with the results. I was starting to give up on the Zeller, but now its got a new well fitted sound post, the bridge has been properly seated to the top and its wearing a set of Spirocores. Its sounds like a double bass! The strings are harder work, and the fingerboard is going to need a bit of attention, but now it feels worth the effort and I want to play it.

Martin was great to work with, and not in the least bit "snobby" about working on a lowly bass..to a low(ish) budget.

I just wish I'd done it last year!

Thanks again to all for the info

I got Jayne back from Bristol violin shop on Saturday, just in time for Saturday night's gig.

They did a fantastic job of shooting the fingerboard and reshaping the neck, he even threw in a bridge reprofile and repositioned the soundpost. The whole thing came to £250, which I felt was pretty good value, considering the ammount of work done on the neck reshape.

The sound and playability is dramatically improved and as I had him strip off all the ebonising paint from the board, Jayne's collar now matches her cuffs and she's totally blonde.

Good to hear your blonde is shaping up well! My next step is going to be a full fingerboard shoot, and strip the 'oribble finish off the back of the neck. I'll probably get the finish off first, and then have a minor re-carve done to make the profile a bit slimmer. But before that I've got to just play the thing until those Spirocores don't seem so scary......

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1329937847' post='1550113']
Good to hear your blonde is shaping up well! My next step is going to be a full fingerboard shoot, and strip the 'oribble finish off the back of the neck. I'll probably get the finish off first, and then have a minor re-carve done to make the profile a bit slimmer. But before that I've got to just play the thing until those Spirocores don't seem so scary......
[/quote]

I'll take some pictures this weekend, if I can stop playing for long enough! The work has made an enormomous difference in both the sound and playability.

*edit* found one from saturday's gig on Facepuke

[quote name='gcordez' timestamp='1329938561' post='1550133']
Good to hear you went to Martin. I really rate his work, and him as a person.
[/quote]

I only ever spoke with Steve, though I believe Martin did the actual work. He did a fanstastic job for the price. I really couldn't be happier with his work.

Edited by TheRev