Why become a member? ×

Replacing the speaker in a Peavey TNT

GarethFlatlands

I currently go through an old Peavey TNT combo our guitarist picked up for cheap and it works insofar as I can hear myself at practises. The sound isn't all that great though, would it be worth spending £50-60 to replace the current old 15" speaker with a Celestion BL15? I don't know how badly the stock speakers are regarded and if swapping them out would improve the sound at all.

Also, would it be worth trying out a neo speaker? The combo currently weighs an absolute ton. I'm conscious they're pretty expensive atm and don't want to spend a lot as it's not my amp at the end of the day.

Sometimes you can just chuck a higher spec speaker in and it works fine but for best results you need to match the driver to the cab and porting. First off I'd establish if there is anything wrong with the speaker (some of the drivers in those Peaveys are Black Widow and they are a decent driver); what is actually 'wrong' with the sound that makes you think the driver needs replacing?

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1328032158' post='1520640']
Also, would it be worth trying out a neo speaker? The combo currently weighs an absolute ton. I'm conscious they're pretty expensive atm and don't want to spend a lot as it's not my amp at the end of the day.
[/quote]

The Peaveys cabs are so heavy that it hardly seems worth it, you'd only save 3 or 4 kilos out of about 9000

Edited by LawrenceH

You have not said what model, wattage or speaker is in there. If it has the crappy Blue Marvel speaker or the slightly better Sheffied speaker then look for a Black Widow replacement as it will work just fine without having to check the matching of cab and speaker. I have done this for a TNT combo and it does make a difference as you could really drive it with Black Widow but the Blue Marvel was flapping really bad, even at below gig volumes in the end.

[i]If you are looking for cheap Peavey...................... go to amps and cabs for sale and type in `peavey`........................ one guy has a pair of peavey 15 cabs for £80 and in another ad someone has a TNT130 complete for £75......................................[/i]

[i]good luck!![/i]

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1328042712' post='1520900']
You have not said what model, wattage or speaker is in there. If it has the crappy Blue Marvel speaker or the slightly better Sheffied speaker then look for a Black Widow replacement as it will work just fine without having to check the matching of cab and speaker. I have done this for a TNT combo and it does make a difference as you could really drive it with Black Widow but the Blue Marvel was flapping really bad, even at below gig volumes in the end.
[/quote]

I'm not sure tbh, will have a look tonight. It might even be a TKO.....