Why become a member? ×

HiWatt DR201...any users? opinions?

Subthumper

Hi all, as the tittle suggests I'm keen to know what these amps are like, both in sound and flexibility. Do they sound like anything else and how much of a range of tones is available? Does anyone have either the 4xKT88 or the 6X EL34 or even both and is there much difference? A lot of questions I know but have to be sure of these things before making a decision.
Thanks for reading
Cheers Just

I've used Hiwatt 100s in the past and they're fantastic. I've just bought a Mywatt 200,
http://weber-amps.de/en/index.html
It's a Hiwatt DR201 replica. It uses 4 x KT88s and has a sound that is pure heaven. Very well made and from ordering to delivery was only 2 weeks and it's only half the price of a Hiwatt. Check out the link and have a look. There's also a lot of talk about them on the talkbass forums.

I borrowed a 4 x Kt88 200w Hiwatt a few years back and found it it just a little 'hard'.. It was reasonably loud and very well built but I just couldn't shift the hard agressive 1-3kHz snarl the thing had..

I also owned an '80s 100w model that was a bit warmer but it had a number of issues and not quite enough horsepower, I think the whole thing needed rebuilding so it had to go..

If the 200w model had the sound of the 100w then it would have been grand..