Why become a member? ×

Bass Encyclomedia, Mike Overly.

SisterAbdullahX

[size=5][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][sup]Looks to go into detail though[/sup][/font][/size]

[size=5][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][sup]ps: what on earth is wrong with the text changing size and font, on this forum today ?[/sup][/font][/size]

Edited by daz

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1327969303' post='1519836']
There's 100 places to play notes on a 4 string, 24 fretted bass guitar.

Why would you pay £88 for a book when you can use time, effort & memory?
[/quote]

Big +1 on Jakes quote. What about doing this?:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0sS0hhfezQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0sS0hhfezQ[/url]

one thing i've found with many students is they want to learn this stuff in a week. If your not practising everyday its going to be very difficult unless you have lots of previous experience on another instrument. Same with reading, its taken me a couple of years to get my reading to an ok standard and i've been doing it everyday for 3 years.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1328012241' post='1520210']
one thing i've found with many students is they want to learn this stuff in a week. If your not practising everyday its going to be very difficult unless you have lots of previous experience on another instrument. Same with reading, its taken me a couple of years to get my reading to an ok standard and i've been doing it everyday for 3 years.
[/quote]

Unfortunately we live in an era where younger people expect instant gratification from musical instruments without putting a lot of work into it. They probably think that just 'cos Guitar Hero or Rockband is fairly easy to learn, then the real thing can't be that hard can it....?

P.S. - I've played those computer games - yeah, it's a laugh with all those coloured buttons & whatnot, but I prefer the real thing anyday.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1328013241' post='1520228'] Unfortunately we live in an era where younger people expect instant gratification from musical instruments without putting a lot of work into it. They probably think that just 'cos Guitar Hero or Rockband is fairly easy to learn, then the real thing can't be that hard can it....? P.S. - I've played those computer games - yeah, it's a laugh with all those coloured buttons & whatnot, but I prefer the real thing anyday. [/quote]

Hey,

cheers, you've just made my day by mistaking me for a young person! I know it wasn't intentional but I'll take the compliment anyway!

As for the book in question, I wouldn't say from what I've scanned through that any of this can be learnt in a week, but by attempting to break the fingerings into smaller, movable forms it can move the process on a bit faster, which can't be a bad thing. There is still many a years worth of practice to be done with any method one would choose, including this one. I'm not saying it's any better or worse than any other method, I merely wondered if anyone had used it and found it useful.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1328054081' post='1521256']
For some reason I always thought Joe Hubbard was English.
[/quote]

Joe's probably one of the few (as far as I'm aware - anyone feel free to correct me) top range American bass players here in the UK. He's also a very good bass teacher (currently one of the instructors at ACM Guildford).