Why become a member? ×

This Lakland Vd has been missing for a while, but cool

phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='170042' date='Apr 4 2008, 10:09 PM']This went missing for about a year on youtube but is informative for us Lakland fanatics....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU[/url][/quote]
That was really interesting, thanks...

Though the Lakland does a good all-round job - which is no mean feat in itself - to my ears, it lacked a little something.. I guess you just can't beat the tone of those original 3 basses?

That lakland is so ugly it hurts.... And the musicman can do all 3 of those sounds too.... so in effect it just sounds like a musicman... Not to mention those basses are so standard, they sound nothing like the likes of wal, alembic etc etc. They're essentially just three very basic bolt on basses.

Edited by budget bassist

As the guy said, the Lakland does a pretty convincing clone job of the three basses, but it sounded a little tinny to me compared to the old jazz which had a lot more body & depth to it. Should they have stuck with the barts?

Edit: Just listened to it again through a much better speaker system & I still think the Fenders sounded a lot fuller & creamier, but the Lakland did eat the MusicMan for breakfast. Much nicer hifi sound. Perhaps it wasn't a particularly good example of a MusicMan?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

The Lakland 94/02 is a great utility bass.
If I was a bigger name I would want the 3 vintage basses in the clip on hand for their classic tone.
As it is, all I want is some flexibility from my main instrument so the LH3 55-94 is a great bass for that.

It's a Rory Bremner/Alistair McGowen bass- you now who/what it's mimicking but when played side by side you can spot the difference and express a preference.

The LH3 gets the bass nearer the Stingray tone than the Bart would allow.
I preferred certain traits of the Barts but others of the LH3.
I sold the Bart pre so there's no going back now!

The video is a great example of how flexible the bass is.
A P always sounds like a P, a Jazz has 3 sounds with the neck only p/up getting in the P bass ballpark, and a Stingray always has that Stingray bite no matter what config you use.

So, as the clip mentions- 3 ball park classic tones but what it doesn't mention is the bass has a sound of it's own when all pickups are blended (on the video playout)
I always get compliments on my full sound- it's a great bass for someone who plays different styles of music but doesn't have 4 basses.