Why become a member? ×

Oh what to do with my G-bass

d-basser

[i]i assume this is the right section for this, if not please move[/i]

I have a Peavey G-bass i bought second hand from funkle less than a year ago. At some point whilst he owned it he added and then removed a piezo system, this has left a spare cavity in the rear by the bridge and a poorly filled pot hole in the front. I also find when playing this it feels lovely but i just cant get the sound i want with the one pup which is closer to a precision placing than a stingray. Finally the red sparkle finish doesn't quite fit with my metal image so think that may have to go.

I see a project looming, plans:

[list]
[*]strip finish and fill back cavity and spare pot hole,

[*]either route a pickup a new pickup in addition to the current one touching but closer to the bridge (ala warwick $$) or fill the current pickup hole and route two new ones (probably measured from my other 35" scale peavey for reference)

[*]then repaint either black or vintage white...or what ever takes my fancy at the time.
[/list]

so opinions please. also few q's:

[list]
[*]where can i get off cuts of basswood to fill the holes? best place to beg?

[*]how easy is routing? was going to pick up a cheap router at some point either argos or secondhand.

[*]any suggestions for pups? was thinking Music Man style or Flea bass style cos of the bass.

[*]any obvious faults with my plan?

[*]any other suggestions?
[/list]

this is going to be a project if and when i have the funds and more a bit of fun since the bass only cost me £200.

thanks in advance :)

Dan

Edited by d-basser

Hi Dan,

Sounds like your luthiery is still at the beginner stage, like mine. So a quick opinion...

Before you try re-routing it is it worth trying different pups and circuitry in-situ? I'm petrified of routing, especially with no pickguard to cover all the mistakes.