Why become a member? ×

Bit of fun in photoshop with a laney cab and TB500.

Dave Tipping

Having seen a guy on here mod a couple of fender rumble cabs to look nice and vintage, I am currently considering doing the same with a Laney cab for my terror bass head.
Before and after fitting grille cloth, piping and badge ...

No idea what the cab will sound like on it's side .. if it sounds guff I'll rotate the badge around 90 degrees.

That looks sick man :D

Rotating a cab onto its side won't alter the sound... But it will help to distribute the sound a little better, and bring the speaker slightly closer to your ears! I had my old 2x10 set up this way for almost the whole time I owned it... unless i was on such a small stage I had to tilt it back into monitor position!

Looks cool! Like a Barefaced :)

I don't think it'll make much difference to the sound as it only has one speaker. If it had two, then vertical alignment would increase clarity because of phasing issues, with one like this it'll just move the cone an inch or two closer to your ears, It'll look great though :)

I want to retro up my EBS cabs using cloth instead of the chrome grille (never liked it). Really like the look of the EBS Classic Line cabs, but much prefer the sound of the Proline Cabs. I like to see the speakers concealed. Look neater and presentable on stage I thinks :happy:

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1327405594' post='1510559']
Looks cool! Like a Barefaced :)

I don't think it'll make much difference to the sound as it only has one speaker. If it had two, then vertical alignment would increase clarity because of phasing issues, with one like this it'll just move the cone an inch or two closer to your ears, It'll look great though :)
[/quote]

Anybody said Barefaced and vertical alignment?

I'll take cover before Alex pops up and sues me...

edit: spelling!

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327405111' post='1510551']
Do it! That looks great, it's a very easy job to do! (BTW, i was the Rumbles guy ;) )
[/quote]

Ha ha, nice one mate .. sorry for totally ripping your mod! I don't think Alex has too much to worry about, his cabs are superb .. I just don't have the cash right now! Plus you can't really copyright adding silver tolex to a cab and tipping it on it's side! Did you just fit the cloth directly over the metal mesh? By the looks of the laney cab it'll probably be easier making a wooden frame and Velcro-ing it onto the cab .. it looks like it is either in a few pieces and/or steps in and out a bit.

Cheers for the comments chaps I think I'm almost definitely going to do this :D ... well i've ordered the grille cloth, and "the punisher" iron on (although I've been given pelters from a work buddy who thought that looked crud! .. I might have a look at belt buckles on ebay for some inspiration) .. just need to wait till pay day to get the cab. It's not my birthday till a week on Thursday so the wife has forbidden me to play with my TB till then anyhoo :rolleyes:

Anybody know where you can buy white "piping" in the uk? Found a few places in the US on ebay .. I suspect there is a different term used to describe it in the uk?

Perfect! .. sounds almost identical to the wee sketch I did on a post-it yesterday! A photo would be braw .. did you just fold the corners and staple them down? or did you snip and lap? My concern with the latter is you would probably get fraying? You could probably get it nice and tight though .. I guess i'll know better once i've got the frame built and the fabric in my hand.

I did a bit of nipping on the corners so that they wouldn't overlap and prevent the whole frame to sit close to the baffle but i didn't go as far as the actual corner to prevent the cloth from falling appart. A couple of staples on top left it nice and leveled with the rest of the sides. I haven't got enough english vocabulary to explain this better...

I'm not totally sold on the badge yet .. I've ordered the iron/sew-on one from [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170599125671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_685wt_956"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170599125671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_685wt_956[/url] ... any other suggestions would be most welcome!! The honourable thing would be to take of the laney one and stick it on the front ..

Cab arrived today .. really impressed with the quality (and weight!) of the cab for the price! Not had a chance to plug it in yet stuck in the office :(