Why become a member? ×

All Right Now - But Not On A Stingray

Hobbayne

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1327499888' post='1512358']
People absolutely love it unfortunately.
[/quote]

By people do you mean Musos or Punters ?

i last played it around 1975, by which time I hated it with a venegance. Started playing covers again in the early 90s and was amazed that people still wanted to play it, and wanted to hear it. I have had so much stick over the years cos I wont play it, that I hate it more than ever. all sorts from a singer telling the audience that the guitard hadnt had time to teach me it (Hoho, what a wag) to the usual guitard question, cant you play the solo then - To which I used to reply by playing not just the bass part, but a version the guitar solo on me Bass as well.

Glad I dont play rock covers these days, theres just so much that was good in its day, but is past its best, that I hate.and everybody seems to want to do.

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1327501132' post='1512398']
By people do you mean Musos or Punters ?

i last played it around 1975, by which time I hated it with a venegance. Started playing covers again in the early 90s and was amazed that people still wanted to play it, and wanted to hear it. I have had so much stick over the years cos I wont play it, that I hate it more than ever. all sorts from a singer telling the audience that the guitard hadnt had time to teach me it (Hoho, what a wag) to the usual guitard question, cant you play the solo then - To which I used to reply by playing not just the bass part, but a version the guitar solo on me Bass as well.

Glad I dont play rock covers these days, theres just so much that was good in its day, but is past its best, that I hate.and everybody seems to want to do.
[/quote]

'Musos' want to play the music 99% of people don't want to hear, the punters will want to hear the 99% of repertoire that your band don't want to play. You do what you get paid to do in a covers band, and if you can derive some sort of enjoyment from doing it then you should.

I hate the song, but it only lasts for 3 or 4 minutes. A 9 till 5 job lasts from 9 to 5, and I know which one I'd prefer to do.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1327503292' post='1512459']
'Musos' want to play the music 99% of people don't want to hear, the punters will want to hear the 99% of repertoire that your band don't want to play. You do what you get paid to do in a covers band, and [b][u]if you can derive some sort of enjoyment from doing it then you should[/u][/b].

I hate the song, but it only lasts for 3 or 4 minutes. A 9 till 5 job lasts from 9 to 5, and I know which one I'd prefer to do.
[/quote]

If it pays well, you do what the punters want..agreed, Bit within reason. 99% of covers is OK, thats one thing, but you aint gonna lose out much by there being a few songs that you dont do.

If you aint enjoying it, and it aint making you A LOT of dough, why do it ? and that goes for everything. Day job, type of music you play, sexual preferences, whatever...

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1327506252' post='1512532']
If it pays well, you do what the punters want..agreed, Bit within reason. 99% of covers is OK, thats one thing, but you aint gonna lose out much by there being a few songs that you dont do.

If you aint enjoying it, and it aint making you A LOT of dough, why do it ? and that goes for everything. Day job, type of music you play, sexual preferences, whatever...
[/quote]

If the money's not right I won't do cover gigs, as I have my own original music to be working on and playing out live, but if the money is right then I'll play whatever. I used to be of a similar mindset that I won't play this or that (and I will end up putting my foot down on certain songs that I really have had enough of playing), but largely for me at least it's a means to an end. I don't anticipate I'll be playing covers forever, but for now if there's one or two tunes that are hits with the audiences that I'll hate, I'll just grit my teeth and go to my happy place.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1327506732' post='1512543']
If the money's not right I won't do cover gigs, as I have my own original music to be working on and playing out live, but if the money is right then I'll play whatever. I used to be of a similar mindset that I won't play this or that (and I will end up putting my foot down on certain songs that I really have had enough of playing), but largely for me at least it's a means to an end. I don't anticipate I'll be playing covers forever, but for now if there's one or two tunes that are hits with the audiences that I'll hate, I'll just grit my teeth and go to my happy place.
[/quote]

well said.