Why become a member? ×

USB audio interface or new soundcard?

dave_bass5

Ive owned a M-audio 24/96 for about 5 years, never had any problems with until recently. The issue im having is the phono in's are about to fall off the circut bored.
I tend to plug a lead in to one of them and play my bass in to the PC, normally using something like GuitarRig or the Markbass software.
The input level isnt really loud enough to keep everything running at the optimal S/N ratio but its worked so ive been happy.

Ive just been looking at the Lindy USB lead and this looks ideal, but im wondering what the latency will be like. Failing that i might just dump the sound card and get a new one.

So, my questions are
1. Anyone use the Lindy? Im not asking for opinions on what peopel think it "might" be like, just from people who have used it. Im not looking for studio quality, just a way of getting my bass in to the PC with little or no noise and delay.

2. Failing the above, any recomendations for a new sound card that will do the job of the 24/96 but with a more guitar friendly input level.

Max budget is £50, less if possible.

I do have small mixers etc but i want something that doesnt need any extra PSU or needs more than two leads in total, including my bass lead so i dont want to go this route.

Cheers.

Behringer do a guitar USB interface that's only around £20-£30. Haven't used it myself but I'm probably going to pick one up when I've got the change - I asked about it in a thread on here a few months back and seem to remember it getting some positive comments as a basic recording tool. Would probably fit your needs just fine and I think it comes with some bundled amp sim software too.

Thanks Mike, if you mean the[size=4] Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface[/size] thats on my short list already.

EDIT: I should add that as its phono in its not eactly what im after, although better than what i have at the moment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326980619' post='1504628']
Thanks Mike, if you mean the[size=4] Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface[/size] thats on my short list already.

EDIT: I should add that as its phono in its not eactly what im after, although better than what i have at the moment.
[/quote]

Hi Dave,

It's not the phono one I had in mind, there's a guitar specific USB interface, have a nosey at [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx"]this[/url]!

Thanks Mike, i had only brifly looked at that, thought it looked a bit cheap but if you have seen good reviews i think thats going to be ideal.
It does seem to tick all the right boxes, especially having 64 bit ASIO drivers.
I might order one tomorrow.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326981363' post='1504638']
In the past I have used the singstar mic adapter to usb thingy no real reason to try except it was there and thought I would :lol: :lol: . 1/4 to 3.5 cable and jobs done.

with having kids it might even be in the house already and worth a try . (If I could I would try the wireless adapter but I'm banned from taking the screwdriver to the wireless mics :lol: :lol: )
[/quote]

Thanks, good suggestion but i dont have any of that gear at home anymore. The kids were never really in to it so we sold it.

I just dont want to start having to mess around with drivers, especially not the ASIO4all drivers as they might mess up my M-Audio drivers (they did before), the one Mike suggested seems to have proper drivers so should work alongside the soundcard.

Thanks Gareth. That looks like a pretty neat unit. Its not really what im looking for though. Ive had a few bad experienecs with full blown USB interfaces so i'd rather keep my 24/96 or another internal card as the system sound card and just use USB to get the bass in to it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326990865' post='1504844']
Thanks Mike, i had only brifly looked at that, thought it looked a bit cheap but if you have seen good reviews i think thats going to be ideal.
It does seem to tick all the right boxes, especially having 64 bit ASIO drivers.
I might order one tomorrow.
[/quote]

No worries Dave, glad to help. I think it's going to be typical Behringer cheap-and-cheerful, but for the purposes I'm after (quick and dirty song demoing) it seems to fit the bill. Good luck with it!

Funny ehough ive also found a cheap (lol) copy of it for £12 on Amazon. Its even cheaper and probably nastier but for £12 i dont mind givnig it a go. It wont get moved and will stay plugging in all the time so hopefully it will do the trick.
The USB on my PC can be a bit funky sometimes, that why i dont want to go the whole USB audio system route at the moment.

Yeah, I've seen something similar on ebay - the unit looks [i]exactly[/i] the same as the Behringer, just black and with different labelling, probably out the same factory! I was contemplating paying the extra few quid for the Behringer just to get the bundled amp modelling software, as the whole thing is to replace my broken V-Amp that has been serving me well for about 8 years!

Yes, its the black one. As i have all the software already im happy to pay less and get less, as long as it works as advertised.
I used to have a V-amp, great little unit. I did my last demo using it. It did start to go funny after a while, all the presets went haywire. I did replace the battery but it didnt seem to last long.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1327067677' post='1505967']
I used to have a V-amp, great little unit. I did my last demo using it. It did start to go funny after a while, all the presets went haywire. I did replace the battery but it didnt seem to last long.
[/quote]

Did you try a factory reset? My POD went strange and sat in a draw for months until I tried a reset, seems to work fine now.

Yeah, the reset didnt work as it was the battery failing. The problem was after a month or two, with a new battery it started acting up. Changed the battery a second time and the same thing happened. I ended up giving it away to a rehearsal studio for a free session.
Funny enough i had a Bass POD XT during that time but sold in in favour of the V-amp. I just felt the V-Amp was better for me, mainly the aux input.