Why become a member? ×

pinstripe veneers and cut away question

Jimmyp28

Ok been searching for ages and have no idea how you do veneers on basses.

Bass's like wals which have the maple strip running on the side and also Foderas which have the black accent lines on the side.

Also as am here ha ha. Any one have any ideas how also the cut away on Wals and Fodears are doene? Because i really want to learn how to do this and cant work out how they do this?

:)

You can buy the veneer in sheets, its called constructional veneer. I get it from Anita Marquetry

[url="http://www.anitamarquetry.co.uk/acatalog/Constructional_Veneers__1_5mm_.html"]http://www.anitamarq...rs__1_5mm_.html[/url]

Usually its 2mm thick and available in plain wood or dyed (the dye runs all the way through so its ok on an edge where it wil be sanded afterwards)
Here is an example where i used dyed black veneer on a thinline Tele build inbetween the mahogany body and the redwood top.
I've also used it on a neck where it went between the neck and the fingerboard and then blended into a headstock veneer, again on a Tele build

I use Titebond to glue it without problems, but be sure to clamp it down properly as you would when gluing a topset on.

On the subject of the "Wal look"....I'm currently doing a Blingray build....a stingray built just as you describe in the style of a Wal (I used to have a lovely fretless custom back in the 80's and I'm still pining for it!). I'm using cherry veneers on this one, with a walnut core and claro walnut facings. If you get contrasting coloured wood and veneer the effect can be stunning.

Where you ask about the cutaway on the Wal, I presume you mean where you can see the veneer appear to get wider, the body would be constructed with a mahogany core, then the veneers on the front and back then the facings. When the edge roundovers are done the veneers are level with the sides but when the cutaways are done for the forearm and ribs the veneers are cut into at an angle which gives them a wider profile. Different people have different ways of doing the cutaways, some use handtools such as rasps and the like, some use power tools
Hope this helps

Not sure if I know what you mean by cutaways. Basically the pieces of different wood are glued together - like plywood - albeit expensive plywood. once all the pieces have been glued together into a block the shape is cut out, then the contours are shaped.

I made a bass a few years ago using this method out of two pieces of Iroko with a thin piece of maple in the middle. I used a jigsaw for the basic body shape then I used a dragknife to shape the body contours by hand. The end result was a shape that resembled a giant warwick thumb bass with a darkish wood body with a light stripe of maple on the edges. it was a lovely bass but it got stolen :(

[quote name='Jimmyp28' timestamp='1326904037' post='1503510']
Ok been searching for ages and have no idea how you do veneers on basses.

Bass's like wals which have the maple strip running on the side and also Foderas which have the black accent lines on the side.

Also as am here ha ha. Any one have any ideas how also the cut away on Wals and Fodears are doene? Because i really want to learn how to do this and cant work out how they do this?

:)
[/quote]
Hey Jimmy,
I have some plenty big sheets of veneer here if you're looking for some to experiment with - send me a PM if you're interested - I'm not far along the road from you - neighbour B)

Cheerz, John

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1326906753' post='1503585']
Not sure if I know what you mean by cutaways. Basically the pieces of different wood are glued together - like plywood - albeit expensive plywood. once all the pieces have been glued together into a block the shape is cut out, then the contours are shaped.
[/quote]

Generally you aim for the grain to follow the same direction, whereas in plywood you alternate.