Why become a member? ×

Little pinky question

norvegicusbass

When playing roots, fifths and octaves I sort of use my middle finger of my fretting hand to play the root then I bar the next two strings with my little finger to play the fifth and octave. It sometimes results in a not too clean sound so is it better to actually move my little finger from one string to the other so the pad of the little finger rests on each string individually? It seems harder to play it like this when I play fast but sounds cleaner when playing slow. What do you do?

Really there is no 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to technique :) (unless its painful!)
To me it's more comfortable to have one finger per string than to bar multiple strings. If doing it your way is more comfortable then that's probably what you're best off sticking to. Practicing it to get it sounding cleaner can't hurt though. Hope that helps!

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1326666027' post='1500306']
I normally use Index (Root), third (5th) & fourth fingers (Octave) for R-5-Octave. Takes a little bit of work, but it's a lot easier (to me anyway) to play that pattern.
[/quote]

I generally do this as I find it easier to mute the individual strings, but sometimes I'm a bit lazy and barre across although usually with my third finger. Unless I'm playing high up the neck in which case I seem to tuck my little finger behind the neck like a fool :facepalm: