Why become a member? ×

Drum Machine

tm486

Hi,

After getting Victor Wooten's Groove Workshop DVD for christmas, I have decided that I would like a drum machine. Unfortunately I can't find a decent clip of it, but what he uses the drum machine for is to allow one of the students to come up with a simple bassline to a 4 bar drum sample. He then gets the drum machine to play 3 bars and remain silent for the 4th. Then he goes one step further and gets it to play 2 bars on, 2 off. Then 1 on, 3 off. Finally it's just playing one beat and is silent for the rest of the 4 bars.

I'm looking for a drum machine that will allow me to easily do this. My timing isn't bad, but this appears to be a good method of improving timing and helping it to become second nature. It would also be useful to practice Anthony Wellington's "yardstick" lesson.

Does anyone know what drum machine Victor Wooten uses in this DVD or know of a drum machine that will do what I want? It may be something that all of them do, but despite googling and looking at the features of many different drum machines, it is not made clear that they can do this.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

You basically program a single bar with the drum pattern, then create a song with the programmed beat repeated 3 times followed by an empty pattern.
Having never seen the dvd I can't say what drum machine he used.

This is the best shot of what he uses, Just next to his right hand. I can't identify it at the moment.
[attachment=97409:Screen Shot 2012-01-15 at 19.07.11.png][attachment=97410:Screen Shot 2012-01-15 at 19.09.24.png]

Edited by bartelby

• 4 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread after I watched the DVD and was wondering what the drum machine was...
I think it is the Boss JS-5 JamStation:

I don't think Boss makes this any more... but if you haven't parted with your cash yet, you can probably get a good deal on the "For Sale" forums or eBay.

Edited by d4tux