Why become a member? ×

SHINE RK2000NK(rickenbacker clone)

geofio

just thought i would write a quick review on the shine rk2000 rickenbacker clone bass guitar, i have been a long time rickenbacker bass player and have owned many rickenbacker,s throughout my life. i noticed the shine rk2000 in an article about ric copies and the guy writing the article was a 4001 owner and he seemed to think the bass was a very high quality bass, i managed to find one of the basses in a small guitar shop in scotland, the bass is made from maple body and maple neck through construction same as a genuine ric, the neck has a rosewood fretboard with triangular pearl inlays and a heavy laquer finish again the same as a genuine ric. the electronic side of the bass now, it comes as standard with seymour duncan rickenbacker replacement pickups which cost around £180, i took the scratch plate off to have a look at the wiring and the work seems to be of a decent standard and high quality wiring is used, the paint job is of a high standard also being the jetglo finish, the only weak point i could find on the bass was the bridge and i am talking from an aesthetic point of view, it is a large bridge and is a fairly chunky piece of metal and to be honest it does what it should do, i just find it personally a bit ugly!! i restrung the bass with d,addario roundwound xl strings, as i have no idea about the quality of the strings that are installed on the bass, well i have to tell you i was shocked at the tone of this bass guitar , i could not believe the awesome tone that emanates from this bass, i am sorry to have to say it puts the rickenbacker to shame considering the cost of the current 4003 uk price of around £1699!!!! as i said i have owned 8 rickenbackers over the years and the same problem crops up with rics, the e string is always a problem unless you are really lucky and have a full sounding e!!! i recently went into guitar guitar in glasgow and had the opportunity of comparing 7 4003 basses, one of which i purchased, out of the 7 basses only the one i bought was fit for playing, not one of the basses sounded the same to me or the salesman who was helping me out , i found it incredible that a bass that costs that amount of money was so inconsistant, when i got the 4003 home i even had to tighten the bridge up as the screws were so slack, the tone got a whole lot better after that , but as the weeks went by, i was still unhappy with the sound , so i sold the bass on. back to the shine !! i can only say i was put off by the mere fact this is a copy bass, but i soon put this out of my head by the sheer quality of sound this bass produces if it had rickenbacker written on it you would be happy trust me on that!! i cant put this bass down it just sounds better and better, for £499 its a great buy and if you are looking for a ric tone but dont want to pay the big bucks , i can recommend this bass 100%.

Edited by geofio

thats true , i bought a set of swing 66 for it and the silk didn,t even reach the nut lol!!! i use the superlong xl strings and they sound good on it. still at the end of the day a comfy bass to play and its well put together and gives off a good tone. cheers

• 9 months later...