Why become a member? ×

DIY kits

Astrosmurf

Guys I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not, but hope its ok...

Does anyone have any experience of these kits?? Are they garbage or worth a go as a first build

http://www.guitar-warehouse.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=250&Product=Unfinished%20Headless%20Bass%20Guitar%20Kit%20Project%20-%20DIY%20(New)

Fancy getting something as a bit of a play toy.

Thanks in advance for the advice

No idea to the quality of these at all, but I have seen them on ebay. The way I look at it, if you put it together yourself, you'll be less squeamish about upgrading it or chopping/customising it up into something else. Looks like a solid piece of wood, maybe some decent pickups and hardware or a custom wiring job and/or active electronics and you could have a very nice bass on your hands. It could evolve as the years go by. If it is crap, well you'll certainly learn to set it up as best as you can. I was looking for a headless bridge/tuner for a homeade travel bass, and to be honest I couldn't find anything as cheap as this whole kit.
Looks like a great way to learn the basics (and not much different to what I did with my EPJ) so I say go for it!
And let us know how you get on, If nothing else, it aint made of plywood and it will be put together with real love and care, more than you expect from a lot of far eastern basses with a similar price tag.
Good luck!

Again, I've seen them for sale, but never in real life... I'd say go for it though - It's unlikely to be the finest timber, or the finest hardwear, but you'll learn lots about finishing and setup... And you know everything'll fit and you won't run into problems. You'll end up with something you built, can use, and be proud of. ... More so than if you'd assembled one from ready finished parts!

To be honest - for the price, you can't go far wrong!

Yes give it a go. You would be hard pressed to source the parts for that price. Elm is pretty tough so you might have a bit of work sanding to get a good smooth finish, but for that price yes worth a punt and it will be a great start into the joys of bass construction.
Post some pics when you get going.
good luck
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

just finished putting a 6 string together a few hours ago from that company ...
put a nice oil finish on it its all pre drilled for the screws had to carve a small channel for the wires from the pick up so they sat straight other than that went together well
quick adjustment of the rods and it seemed set up quite well ...
however there are two high frets right at the top of the dusty end that buzz on the A and D a fair bit not an issue to me as i never venture that far anyway

all in all i would say great fun to mess about with not a bad instrument, you would struggle to find better pre built for that money (although i dont think a 6er is for me now) almost everything is included except finish a chisel 2 screwdrivers and a soldering iron

edit also had to file the nut but no biggy

Edited by mushers

• 4 weeks later...