Why become a member? ×

ESP USA serial numbers

fluffo

Does anyone know how to get any info on the USA serial numbers, I have a US series 400 Jazz Bass, Alsome bass, the neck plate is an American one showing a 5 figure number with no letter, and the heel of the neck has a 1988 hand written date ,(month,day,year).

Any ideas boyz and girlz

Will stick some pics on later

Edited by fluffo

Are you sure its USA? I have a ESP 400 Series Jazz bass from 1989 and as far as I know all ESP basses back then were made in Japan. The neck serial 6252 and the neck plate serial 02699. The neck plate also has ESP etched on it.

Do you have any photos of your bass?

OK, that is exactly the same as mine apart from I don't have the matching headstock colour which was an option on them and I changed the pickups to Barts.

What I would say from the knowledge I have of this bass is that it is made in Japan and from the mid to late 80's. The Fender shaped headstock was only for the European and very possibly Asian market. The US had a different headstock which has a little lip on the bottom. Do you have a serial number on the back of the headstock? I have one there and it also says Made In Japan.

My neck plate is exactly the same minus the New York etching. However, I would say 99.9% that the store in New York had that etched on themselves. They are copies of the Fender 62 Jazz bass and very very good indeed. At the time, the factory where this was being made was making Fender basses as well as ESP and Tokai basses and so that headstock could have easily made its way onto a Fender bass :)

So where did you get the bass from?

Here is a picture of mine.

Edited by Linus27

When there is some 400 Series loving going on, I will be there :D

First things first, here's my one :lol:

Legend has it that some early 400s were assembled in New York from Japanese made parts, I think I saw a thread on talkbass a few years back where a fella had a similar neck plate. I asked ESP about my one many years ago, they said that a lot of records from that era were destroyed in a fire, the closest they could date mine was somewhere between 87 and 89. I've had it since early 93. There's an ESP uk forum and one of the mods there seems to have the ear of ESP Japan. I've long lost the url but it should be out there on google. I'd say give them a shot, they'd be your best bet.

Thanks Doctor J, a bit more info for me. I must admit, my Made In Japan and serial number on the back of the headstock is rubbing away so perhaps your one has although I doubt it would had gone so quick if you got it in 93. Maybe ESP were just a bit slack or could not decide if they wanted to put serials on the neck or not ;)

It never had the headstock serial, I knew the guy who owned it first, so saw it from new, pretty much :)

I really want to get an 800 Series. Did you ever see them? Ash body, translucent purple with gold hardware, otherwise pretty much the same (possibly ebony fretboard?). Amazing looking things. I saw one once. Once. B)

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325793705' post='1487935']
It never had the headstock serial, I knew the guy who owned it first, so saw it from new, pretty much :)

I really want to get an 800 Series. Did you ever see them? Ash body, translucent purple with gold hardware, otherwise pretty much the same (possibly ebony fretboard?). Amazing looking things. I saw one once. Once. B)
[/quote]

I did hear about the 800 but never got to see one. I am interested now in seeing what they look like. The only other 400 I saw in the flesh was at a studio I was recording at. It was baby blue and fretless.

I found a 400 series telecaster on google images with the same neck plate, so the verdict is jap parts assembled in NYC apparently very early run and mine is 224 earlier than this one.

HAPPY DAYS

VINTAGE ESP 400 SERIES TELECASTER

The best kept secret in the vintage market...the ESP 400 series. Amazing quality. and feel. You would swear your playing the real deal!

LIGHT WEIGHT ALDER BODY- MAPLE NECK- ALL THE INGREIDENTS FOR THE PERFECT TELE TONE!!

This is a very early example of the series, and the company! Parts made in Japan, and assembled in NYC.

Peroid correct construction give it the vintage vibe costing much more!

Some wear. Frets have a little wear up to 4th position, but it DOES NOT AFFECT the playability of this guitar! It feels and plays like a million bucks. Back of the neck is worn down to the wood...nice and smooth. Perfect for country chicken-pickin! Comes with chipboard case.

Harmony central reviews here- [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/ESP/400"]http://reviews.harmo...product/ESP/400[/url] Series/10/1

Feel free to ask any questions, and GOOD LUCK!

No 0/excessive negitive feedback bidders please. No Refunds.

Edited by fluffo

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1325799086' post='1488091']
I did hear about the 800 but never got to see one. I am interested now in seeing what they look like. The only other 400 I saw in the flesh was at a studio I was recording at. It was baby blue and fretless.
[/quote]Ha ha found a Tele version on ebay

[i]That[/i] in jazz bass form!