Why become a member? ×

1960 Fender Jazz bass

SpinalTap

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='pigsinspace' timestamp='1326928580' post='1504047']
If you can't / won't post neck pics, could you elaborate on the "water damage" ?
Thanks
[/quote]

I spoke to Rory on Monday and he said he'd be away for much of this week and would try to get some new pictures at the weekend :)

[quote name='mrbassman_de' timestamp='1325884201' post='1489514']
How did you find out that it's an ASH body ? If that's true, it MUST have been originally a See-Through Blonde finish - no exception... [/quote]
Maybe that's how factory specs slated them to be but there are so many fine examples of exceptions to that rule it kind of makes it a non-rule - if you know what I mean.

Same goes for the comment about solid colours and mint green guards. On-paper factory spec says 'yes', real life exmples say 'no'.

Would like to see close up's of the stacks and the headstock, if that's possible.

Bump for a great peice of history.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1326986003' post='1504752']
Maybe that's how factory specs slated them to be but there are so many fine examples of exceptions to that rule it kind of makes it a non-rule - if you know what I mean.

Same goes for the comment about solid colours and mint green guards. On-paper factory spec says 'yes', real life exmples say 'no'.

[/quote]

May be. But as long as I don't have an evidence from the history of the particular bass I would assume a after-market customization. Always.

Don't want to offense you, but imo these statements are too often used to legalize abstruse changes. Unless the first owner tells the whole story in person I don't trust in these exceptions. That does not mean that they don't exist but the vintage market is blown by fakes and Frankens so I believe it is good to have a certain amount of mistrust.... My 2c.

This is a nice bass by the way and I have no problem with the nice colour - even if it might be not correct for an ash body. I am always tempted to drive to Rory and grab it when I look at this...

[quote name='mrbassman_de' timestamp='1326989950' post='1504826']
May be. But as long as I don't have an evidence from the history of the particular bass I would assume a after-market customization. Always.

Don't want to offense you, but imo these statements are too often used to legalize abstruse changes. Unless the first owner tells the whole story in person I don't trust in these exceptions. That does not mean that they don't exist but the vintage market is blown by fakes and Frankens so I believe it is good to have a certain amount of mistrust.... My 2c.[/quote]
Yes, I wouldn't dream of disagreeing.

Edited by mckendrick

Pictures will be made and send to the several interested people this weekend.

It is correct, that it is harder to proof that the body is original compared to all the other parts on this bass (neck, hardware, pickups, scratchplatel). I bought it from an expert (who had two 1960 jazz basses), and showed me the details of the body. I forgot the exact details, cause I'm a player than a collector (although I owned alot of pre-cbs fender, so I know fake from real). It gave me all the proof I needed with the correct nailholes etc.
But the most important reason I eventually bought this bass, was that is the best bass I ever played.

Everybody has to make up his mind about this bass. ( bought the seller (see post #1) and from the people contacting me about this instrument, it seems more people do. The notification about being careful with buying vintage is appreciated, and should be remembered by anyone who is interested in vintage instruments

Thanks!