Why become a member? ×

Are Fender 4str and 5str neck pockets the same?

Jamesemt

Well, no, it wouldn't be the same size on account of having to be wider to accommodate the extra string. To convert a 4 string to a 5 string would probably be more expense and effort than the end result would be worth; you'd need to re-route the neck pocket, and get a new pickup (more routing) and make sure the whole thing is properly aligned.

Edited by mrdreadful

A four string P-bass neck will handle 5 strings if you're happy with narrow spacing; see the bottom of this guy's web page.
[url="http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm"]http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm[/url]
I'd do it with a replacement neck though, and I wonder how the A-string would sound going over both pickup halves.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I could always buy a new pickup - don't mind the idea of routing the body as it's had a bad relic job anyway!!

How difficult is cutting and fitting a new nut? Obviously the bridge isn't an issue, and I've already changed tuners on the bass. Might have a trial run with my SX...

Be careful replacing necks for Fender basses or guitars in general. I bought my old '76 P-Bass with a nasty dink in the back of the neck that was driving me crazy, so I bought a new one at quite considerable cost from Chandler Guitars. The neck was too small in the pocket (you could fit a 50p coin in the gaps either side of it) and the bolt holes didn't line up. Fair play, they gave me a full refund when I sent it back to them and I went back to using the old neck! I took a neck from a standard USA P-bass before I sold it and that didn't fit either. I have heard many other stories similar to mine.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1325590287' post='1484691']
I wonder how the A-string would sound going over both pickup halves.
[/quote]

I've seen more than a few factory five-strings with symmetrical P-type pickups that put the A string over both halves. I've always wondered the same thing about them.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325605916' post='1485024']
Be careful replacing necks for Fender basses or guitars in general. I bought my old '76 P-Bass with a nasty dink in the back of the neck that was driving me crazy, so I bought a new one at quite considerable cost from Chandler Guitars. The neck was too small in the pocket (you could fit a 50p coin in the gaps either side of it) and the bolt holes didn't line up.
[/quote]

I think you'll find that's not uncommon for a mid - late 70's Fender.
A lot of them have got neck pocket gaps you could park a bus in, even with the original necks attached.