Why become a member? ×

First time I've posted in here. Be kind (but honest)!

Cyrene

I enjoyed that - well done all... I used to play bass in a trio - the luxury of playing without a deafening drummer and bieng able to hear my amp was a joy!

Honesty you asked for... I found your bass tone a little too muddy and indistnict for this type of gig TBH... IME I did find that I had to think differently about my bass tone - as I was hanging in guitar/vox territory instead of down with the drums, I found a less bassy,more defined tone worked better for a cohesive sound that helped put the guitar and bass together in 'the pocket'.

Just a suggestion tho'

Thanks for posting :)

Edited by OldG

Hey dude - I like the sound of the band overall but even without a drummer you can groove and it's your job as the bass player to do that - I couldn't really hear your bass and while you looked like you knew where the notes are and know the song if I'm completely honest I couldn't really hear if you were playing or not. This is a lovely little trio and I think if you worked on your sound a bit - brought out the mids a touch more, plucked a tiny bit more percussively and sat and worked with the guitarist to really make all the chords/riffs etc rock solid you guys would sound even better.

I felt you all looked a little uncertain and even, dare I say shy, I'm not the best onstage performer but I do enjoy playing with other people - so I'd also suggest you all try and build a little more confidence into what you are doing - the material is good - just need to bring a little more joy into the delivery.

Hope all that's cool - please feel free to tell me to piss off :) - I hope you guys keep working on your stuff

Cheers

Mike

Hi all. Thanks for your responses as they are all really appreciated. I'm quite a reticent sort: I'm gonna work on being more forward in the band and have a tendency to take the 'top' of my tone in these situations. Perhaps it is a fear of getting in the way.
Actually, the PA always has the bass way back in the mix yet the audience generally tell me they could hear every note. I played the evening before with my amp behind me and it felt better a I can't really hear myself at these open mic sessions. I know exactly where you're coming from though.
It's early day; we only meet up once very few weeks due to various constraints.
We are trying to choose more material that lets the percussive, driving quality of the bass through.
Thanks again :)

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1325535688' post='1484175']
Hi all. Thanks for your responses as they are all really appreciated. I'm quite a reticent sort: I'm gonna work on being more forward in the band and have a tendency to take the 'top' of my tone in these situations. Perhaps it is a fear of getting in the way.

[/quote]

Just to clarify I think you don't need more top end in your tone - it's bringing out the mids that will help you project your sound more - I personally have the top end almost completely off but the mids really pushed high - that way my tone cuts through but isn't harsh, which is the last thing I want - seems like you have a decent bass, maybe spend some time working on your sound away from the band, listen to guys you like and find out what their set up is and try and emulate it. I also think that tone and groove are the two major things people notice with the bass - get those two sorted and the all the other things will follow... hope that helps and keep at it - all this stuff takes time - I should know, it's taken me years and years to get to the point where I feel confident about my sound etc.

Cheers

M

I would say look after your sound via your bass and amp -if you have a decent amp you can take a DI from that so you can use it 'post EQ' so that any EQ adjustments you make on the amp affect what comes through the PA - but failing that you should try and get the best sound you can just from the bass - my basses sound great plugged directly into a PA or studio desk - so you need to get a good/great tone from the bass and your fingers first - a good amp can help too and is pretty much essential IMO to get a good sound on stage - this really helps you feel confident and in fact if you have a good sound, it can really make you play better too...or at least inspire you to play off your sound, maybe even play less because your sound is so good - less notes are needed... hope that makes sense

It does make perfect sense and I can hear exactly what you're saying.
The problem I have at this venue is that there's a pretty rapid turnaround (especially at this xmas event!) so once I'm given the plug, you have minimal time to get going. Additionally, once I start playing I can barely hear myself because the monitors are situated in front of me pointing out to a crowded room; I have nothing projecting from behind me.
I will continue to work on my tone alone and then be confident that in these situations all is well and good even when I can't hear myself!
Thanks for the advice :)