Why become a member? ×

URGENT: Boss Volume Pedal question

Faithless

Hey guys,

I was gonna buy a Boss Volume Pedal FV-50H, which is 'designed' for guitars, rather than it's brother FV50L, which is low impendance pedal for [b]stereo [/b]keyboards and such...

This one: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=59

One of the reasons I want to get a volume pedal, is that I'm using an electric bass and synth bass keyboard (Microkorg), - they are run through an A/B switch box, and I need to control volume differences between two - Microkorg keyboard has a huge output compared to my electric bass.

I'm running Microkorg in [b]Mono [/b]mode output, so does the FV50H (high impendance pedal) gonna do any harm to the sound of the keyboard?

All advice highly appreciated,
Laimis

Hmmmmm… Not sure I can help with the direct question, but I'd of thought an A/B box with volume pots for the inputs would of been a better option. In fact, the old trust Boss LS-2 will work a treat - 2 Inputs to 1 output with a separate volume pot for each input so you can balance them to match pre gig.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1325079206' post='1479586']
Hmmmmm… Not sure I can help with the direct question, but I'd of thought an A/B box with volume pots for the inputs would of been a better option. In fact, the old trust Boss LS-2 will work a treat - 2 Inputs to 1 output with a separate volume pot for each input so you can balance them to match pre gig.
[/quote]

This is the route I'd go.. I've used the LS 2 in the past and it excellent for this.. You could have had mine, but I sold it last year

I know what you're saying about AB boxes, but the volume thing is [b]not [/b]the main thing I want to get an volume pedal.
It's for silent unplugging (I have to unplug my bass very often, as it drains batteries quite heavily) firsty, because pushing the Mute knob on my Genz Benz head has beaten me up by now.

ANyway, back to the pedal -any thoughts on that? I personally cannot see why it wouldnt work, when run in Mono output mode.
Do you?

advice appreciated,
Laimis

By saying 'wouldnt work' I meant that it wouldnt do any harm to the synth sound, but you get the idea.
Any more thoughts before I actually buy the pedal?

At last, is there any other way around it - these volume pedals are designed [b]either [/b]for guitar or keyboard instruments, right, so I can't buy a pedal that works perfectly for both, can I? :)

easy
Laimis

It's a pedal like any other. It takes a signal, processes it, and spits it out the other side. It doesn't matter what that signal is. A volume pedal is pretty much a volume pot, like the one on your bass. I'm sure some do (in the way of buffers) effect tone etc, but they are designed to just move the volume up and down, as such I'd be surprised if you notice any tonal change regardless of what you put through it!

I own an Ernie Ball VPJnr and have owned a Morley one and also a cheap Bespeco one. I've used all three with bass, and with keys and guitars in the studio and noticed absolutly ZERO change in tone between all 3 of them on all instruments. The only difference, as with all volume & expression pedals is in what feels comfy to you under foot.

Many pedals come in different types and with different pots (25k etc). Someone else correct me here, but as far as I was concerned, such details make no difference when the pedal is used as a volume pedal, but do when used as an expression pedal as different equipment requires different resistance. When used as a volume pedal, it is effectively an 'effect' pedal, sat in-line with other pedals and so (as is my experience), in this capacity ALL volume pedals function perfectly well with ALL instruments.

The FV-50h can be used with anything. It can have instruments plugged straight into it unlike the FV-50L which can only be used after an effects chain, ie you cannot plug instruments straight into it. So no it won't affect the sound. Here's a couple of links that explain things.

FV-50H
[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/roland-fv50h-high-impedance-volume-pedal--6618"]http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/roland-fv50h-high-impedance-volume-pedal--6618[/url]

FV50L
[url="http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/roland-fv50l-low-impedance-volume-pedal--6619"]http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/roland-fv50l-low-impedance-volume-pedal--6619[/url]

I really appreciate your input, guys, helpful as always, cheers :)

I'm gonna give a shout to XB about taking the pedal.

One more thing - I was going to control different volume levels with my EBS Octabass pedal either on and off - because this thing gives [i]huge [/i]output, when turned on. I planned to put the Vol pedal [b]after [/b]EBS octaver, so that it still gives me the right tracking even with less volume, and DV site says this:

"The Roland High-Impedance FV-50H is designed for connection [b]before [/b]guitar effects units. ."

Do I really have to put Volume pedal [b]before [/b]all my pedals? (Not a good thing, because if the signal coming to Octabass isnt right, the tracking is fluffy, as you might know..)

Sorry for the fuss, guys.......

kindest regards,
Laimis

Edited by Faithless