Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What amp

phatkat

Ive decided to upgrade my back line and a second hand Gallien Krueger 2x12 6oow 8ohm cab came up at a good price so I bought it, im now in a dilema as to what to drive it with... I think I fancy going down the GK route for an amp but I live up in the wilds of Scotland so trying stuff isnt possible.
Thomanns have a GK goldline amp that seems stupidly cheap... are they any good or should I be looking at something else...

cheers

G...

IME stay away from the goldline, tough the Backline is good enough. Bob Gallien said the 600 is their best-selling amp, and it's not without good reason IMO. Personally, I'd recommend a second hand RB amp. The 700II is more than enough for most situations and the quality is hard to beat at any budget.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1324667500' post='1476949']
IME stay away from the goldline, tough the Backline is good enough. Bob Gallien said the 600 is their best-selling amp, and it's not without good reason IMO. Personally, I'd recommend a second hand RB amp. The 700II is more than enough for most situations and the quality is hard to beat at any budget.
[/quote]

I will admit that the 700 is what I fancy... i'll have to sell some stuff I think!!

If you`re looking at GK, the MB500 is a great little amp, and more than powerful enough. Half the size of a laptop too, so easy to carry about. I`ve been very impressed with mine, put it through a few cabs (none GK, btw) and gets a great sound through all.

Whatever you decide, why not take advantage of distance-buying, and order from Thomann - you get 30 days approval, or send it back.