Why become a member? ×

Guitar Interactive Magazine issue 6 is out! 'The Bassment' bass section.

Dood

Hey everybody! Please check out http://www.iguitarmag.com/ and click on issue 6.

This month I've an interview with Frank Bello from Anthrax recorded live at the recent Hartke clinic and I'm reviewing some tasty gear:

TC Electronics RH750
Musicman Stingray
Fishman Fission PowerChord fx
Washburn B5 electro acoustic Bass

The magazine is FREE and you can subscribe for email updates too!

As always I welcome comments and you can find me on my usual social networks ;0)

Oh and there's a banner at the bottom or top of BassChat to take you straight to the mag if you
lose this post!

Dooooooooooood.

Nice thorough reviews, I love the format of the magazine. Great project to be part of!

Just because Im a Stingray/Musicman nerd, a few things they might not have mentioned when they sent the 2 Band Stingray.

Originally, the 2 EQ was the only option.

They introduced the 3 EQ, but you still find that some like to special order the 2 EQ, because it sound different.

So, 2 vs 3, in my eyes, isn't a budget option, more like a tone option.

The Ray's havent been strung-through body as standard for quite a while. Obviously the new Classic Series (a lot more money) give you mutes and string through, but that isn't a usual Musicman spec on their modern instruments.

The reason those basses you reviewed are cheaper is because:

A. No hardcase, (normally standard on all Musicman instruments)
B. Limited colour options (eg they produced a large batch for the UK in Red/Blue/Black)

The rest is standard Musicman. In fact, if you ordered a Red 3EQ, the only difference would be the case!

You probably already knew that! If you try ordering a 2EQ in a different colour from red/blue/black, you get a hardcase as well, but they are only £50-£100 less than a 3EQ because the 2EQ is probably a little bit cheaper to make (and no jack socket on the bottom).

I'm guessing the reason the one you reviewed sounds so good and plays so well is because thats what they should all be like :)

Thank you for the feedback MM20! Yep, it's a great team to work with and the format is cool too because it includes HD video as well as the written material too. Warts n all! ha ha

Well yes - however the UK distributor pressed to say that this model was to enable those with a smaller budget to get hold of a premium MM bass. They went on to say that It's not a budget model either, but as you say, some of the options have been skimmed back a bit to make them a bit cheaper. That's the information I used for the review.

I also agree that ANY bass should be set up properly and SHOULD play as well as they can, *especially* when being sent for review by a magazine that gets well over 100,000 subscribers! - but as we all know, even some premium basses hanging in shops around the country play like dogs! It was this experience of (some not all) MM basses in the past that made me chirp up how happy I was that this example was so comfy.