Why become a member? ×

help needed!

skampino

I'm playing octaves that for the most part follow the guitar chord progression. However, I am playing an F# when he plays an Eb minor chord. Our guitarist says this is not musically correct. Is he right? Here is the chord progression with bass octaves next to it:

[u][b]Guitar Bass[/b][/u]
C# C# octave (2 bars)
F minor F# octave (2 bars)
Bb Bb octave (2 bars)
Eb minor F# octave (1 bar)
C - Ab Ab (1 bar)

Cheers

It is neither correct nor incorrect. The question is what is the intention. An F#, or more correctly in this case, a Gb, is the third of Eb minor so it is simply an alternative note that is diatonically correct, just creates a different harmonic effect. Its a questiuon of choice, not of right or wrong..

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1324078754' post='1470773']
I'm playing octaves that for the most part follow the guitar chord progression. However, I am playing an F# when he plays an Eb minor chord. Our guitarist says this is not musically correct. Is he right? Here is the chord progression with bass octaves next to it:

[u][b]Guitar Bass[/b][/u]
C# C# octave (2 bars)
F minor F# octave (2 bars)
Bb Bb octave (2 bars)
Eb minor F# octave (1 bar)
C - Ab Ab (1 bar)

Cheers
[/quote]

Essentially what your doing is by playing the 3rd of the chord that the guitarist is playing, what you hear is the 1st inversion of Ebm.
It definitely is musically correct for the simple fact that it's a common device & bassists really should understand inversions as it's one of the few powers we've got to take songs somewhere else.

Whether it works in the context of your song or not, i don't know, i can't really work out what your playing from the description.

As others have said it's the 3rd of the chord... to decide whether it's appropriate or not is the call here because technically it's not incorrect at all.
You are effectively creating a first inversion of the chord and for the guitar player that will be uncomfortable because he hears an Eb min, with your powerful low note you are changing the nature of the chord.
This is why, as the saying goes, bass is relatively simple to play (compared to other instruments) but difficult to master, because having a handle on the nuance that you create with every inflection is a lifetimes work.

Edited by jakenewmanbass