Why become a member? ×

Just joined...... hello to all.

Si-Fi

Kept looking and looking at different forums and bass tings.........thought i,d tek the plunge and join so howdy doody to all. I,m Simon, 44yr old been playing for 25yrs. Based in Notts but music based mainly in Northumberland. Borrowed me mates hungarian double bass back in march and fell in love with double bass, mind you at 2 and a half grand i about papped myself when i picked it up at first! Got a Bassix travel EUB....Status Energy graphite...Tokai fretless Jazz and it all goes thru an Ampeg B15T fliptop. I think i got all the gear i need now!! Kinda all areas covered type thing as regards to sound i want. Anyway, thats about it as an intro so cheers to all and happy playin.

Edited by Si-Fi

[quote name='jojoagogo234' timestamp='1324221002' post='1471946']
how much did your hench double bass cost ? i really want to get one, but i dont know if you can get them lefty O.o iv never seen anyone use one (a lefty one)

thanks a lot man :D
[/quote]
Aye aye Joe.....do you mean that Bassix EUB i got? if so i just got well lucky with it man...£550 off ebay....retail therapy coz i got let down with one i bought from cash generator up in Edinburgh which was a blessing coz i,d have been bolloxed in hindsight trying to get a standard double bass into my car with Mrs....2 girls and all the holiday gear!! I get all that in and this one just packs away and sits on top of the boot. Piece of piss to pack and packs away into itself via a couple of nuts.
It.s not on the Bassix website no more as i believe Alan who meks them changes the range or varies the models from time to time. I maybe wrong on that but the closest thing i seen to it on there is the travel Contrabass but it has a bridge where mine aint....the neck is the business end on mine and it just bolts on to the body which is an open backed sound box that from the front looks just like a double bass....i swear i aint played much on my other basses coz i cant put it down man!! As to lefty style i aint sure how that works in the world of double basses but looking at that thing of mine it is totally symetrical so having stood to the other side of it....and a restring the other way would it not be a lefty? sh*t man Joe i just pick em up and play them! In 25yr i have not even bothered to learn notation of any kind....just play it and remember it and then mess around with it accordingly!! Theres a guy in scotland selling a travel double bass for £600....http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104617828/bassix-upright-electric-bass.html every now and then things come up for sale!! I hope i aint ranted on to much....i hope i read your msg correct! Cheers Joe and regards. and thanx to al the lairds for meking me feel welcome

Welcome Si-Fi, and also Jojo (belatedly).

Fellow upright bassist here, and fellow leftie. I would love to know how other leftie double bassers fare with getting their instruments. So far, what I've gathered is, I either buy a horrendously expensive - if nice - ready-made left-handed upright from Warwick, or I buy a rightie EUB from one of the other manufacturers (Harley Benton, NS Design etc.) and get it modified by a luthier.

Anyone else know of other solutions? Have you ever had an upright turned from rightie to leftie?

Edit: forgot to say that I have turned my cheap 4-string upright left-handed by myself, but I guess I wouldn't want to risk and expensive 5-stringer.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1324236899' post='1472182']
Welcome Si-Fi, and also Jojo (belatedly).

Fellow upright bassist here, and fellow leftie. I would love to know how other leftie double bassers fare with getting their instruments. So far, what I've gathered is, I either buy a horrendously expensive - if nice - ready-made left-handed upright from Warwick, or I buy a rightie EUB from one of the other manufacturers (Harley Benton, NS Design etc.) and get it modified by a luthier.

Anyone else know of other solutions? Have you ever had an upright turned from rightie to leftie?

Edit: forgot to say that I have turned my cheap 4-string upright left-handed by myself, but I guess I wouldn't want to risk and expensive 5-stringer.
[/quote]
Hi Bluejay....Joe will be well made up some lefty communication!! Being a righty and having just stood to the other side of mine...scratching my head for 20mins!.and i could be being a bit thick here but with it being a totally symmetrical would it not be a case of just re-string the other way? I think it maybe that cos this Bassix i have has no bridge it all just strings from the bottom of the neck (ball end style) to the tuners at the top.....then the neck bolts on to the body. You know Bluejay...i thought of the left handed side of playing only on rare ocassions obviously as i am not... but now it,s been mentioned it does give an interesting insight into how...what... and general logistics of it all!!
And yes......you have got some expensive tastes....can,t fault that..lol! I saw a Warwick eub for sale not long ago and it looked great and being a Warwick one imagines it plays real good. Nice one Bluejay and big hello to you. Cheers.

Big hello back atcha, Si! This is a great place, so do stick around.

Heh...! I guess my question was mostly to Jojo who is a leftie, and anyone else in the same predicament.

My HB upright has a metal plate at the bottom, a wooden bridge like that of a "real" double bass, and obviously a nut at the top. I had to file the holes in the bottom plate so that the big E string would fit into the smaller hole that used to hold the G string, etc. I also had to turn the bridge upside-down and file the grooves so that the strings maintained the correct angle, then I had to file the nut to fit the re-arranged strings. And set everything up properly.
The bass is all right but, understandably, not 100% as good as it was originally. I'm fine with it to practice etc. but I would love to buy a good L/H 5-string upright that's not a home-made patch job this time :)