Why become a member? ×

Compressor brand/settings for specific bass sound?

finbase

[b]Compressor brand/settings for specific bass sound?[/b]
Hello folks!

I crushed into a couple youtube-links and dropped my ears… This is the EXACT sound I like!

The tone(s) contains relatively big amount of compression, and I really enjoy the ”squash” and ”mwah” it produces. Makes the bass sound a bit fretless to my ear…

I’m not too familiar with different kind of compressors/settings. So does anyone have any tips how to create a sound like this ”gearwise”? (Please, don’t bother with comments such as ”it’s all in the fingers”… My fingers are pure gold :P one can always practise more, it’s obvious. )

I do own a good piece of gear when it comes to the EQ section. A 10band full parametric rack unit. My bass is a custom De Gier, not too far away from Bona’s Fodera.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoqHFb0hhsU"]Mike Stern With Richard Bona - YouTube[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDZ22Vcliho"]Biréli Lagrène - Foreign Affairs (HD) - YouTube[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9glqzpTx5w&feature=related"]Bireli Lagrene - Hips - YouTube[/url]

Thanks!!

If you can stand full rack size kit, go for a studio compressor... I'm out of date, but DBX, Alesis 3630, Behringer composer pro were the favourites a few years back, and all for about £100...

I've got a Samson in my bass rig (only £70 new) , and can't really recommend it (I have an alesis and a behringer in my "studio" rack, and both are better built!)

For ultimate control, I link from 1 channel into the other, then use the "left" side for compressing, and the "right" for limiting. Gets lots of lights flashing too!

Then it's playing with threshold (how loud before compressing begins) and ratio (how much it's compressed) (max ratio is the same as limiting) then start adjusting the attack and decay. Make up gain brings the level back to where it was before the compressor compressed.

DBX are pretty good (a 160a can be great). I like my Focusrite compounder a lot.

A really good resource for what compressors a good is [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]

A rack comp is usually going to give you more controls and crucially more metering than a pedal comp.

Setting up a compressor is highly specific to the signal it receives, so to try and get exact settings is not going to help.

The amount of dB of gain reduction is a product o fthe ratio and threshold, high ratio and high threshold will amount to the same dB of reduction as low ratio and low threshold, BUT it will tend to sound more overt.

The attack and release times are of paramount importance. Set the attack too fast and you will kill the transient, set it too slow and you will hear the note 'dip' and pump a bit, just right and the compressor will grab the note and reinforce the level after the transient, fattening up the sound.

If you want a more mwaaah sound then you need to have a faster attack rather than slower, but too fast will really rob you of a sense of dynamics so be very careful.

The release needs to be long enough but not too long or the compressor will still be on when the next note starts and you will effectively never let go, which is the same as having a super fast attack or the compressor always on, so look for around 60ms as a starting place.

Makeup gain should be set such that the compressed signal is as loud as you digging in uncompressed.

Then you will probably need a limiter to just catch the hottest transients and stop them going through the roof and causing any nasty clipping in your amp.

Personally I prefer a low ratio (1.5:1 even) and very low threshold, I think it retains more of the natural feel (its quite close to how a tube pre acts, without the overdrive). But if you want a more overt compression then take the ratio up to as high as 4 or 5:1.

Aim for a good 3 to 6dB of gain reduction. Tailor this with the threshold. Then set the attack and tweak the release and make up gain. Finally set the limiter to just catch the peaks on the loudest notes you play, you shouldnt hear it at all, just see the light flash on.

Edited by 51m0n

+1 for the DBX 160A if you're going for 19". I recall a sharp intake of breath at the price tag, but it really does sound good.

The new-ish MXR pedal looks better than most of similar format in terms of its metering. Would be interested to try one some time.

I've got a dBx 1066 (my friend gave it to me) and only use half of it. I use it to just 'tickle' the peaks (gain reduction of roughly 6dB, seldom more), so it's more of a safety net than an effect. Nice to know I've got lots of options if I'm doing slap though.

That's not very often. :lol: