Why become a member? ×

#Sold# Modulus Vintage Jazz 4 Sunburst #Sold#

molan

[quote name='molan' post='170846' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:42 PM']My "sweeping generalisation" was based on a "couple" of Flea basses I've tried in Denmark Street (I've never actually seen a VJ in a shop over here in the UK). One of them had a neck that didn't feel brilliantly fitted and another had some sharp frets. These were on two separate occasions, I'd estimate maybe 18 months apart.

My Flea was a complete custom build so maybe it's a fraction more "extra special" than a stock Flea - alternatively it could be that good old "Denmark Street" factor of basses not being set up very well & just stuck up on the wall for people to tinker with.[/quote]

Yes, it sounds like some used and abused models not well set-up as you mention, they certainly are not representative of any new models from Modulus. Sharp frets sounds like a well-used and abused neck or very bad maintenance.

I hope you get a good price for your bass!

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='Beedster' post='170847' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:48 PM']Shame, I was starting to think I might have a pop.....
Good luck mate
Chris[/quote]

I'm assuming you prefer wider width nuts then?

Looking at your list of basses Chris I reckon you'd prefer my Flea :)

[quote name='SMART' post='170850' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:49 PM']Yes, it sounds like some used and abused models not well set-up as you mention, they certainly are not representative of any new models from Modulus. Sharp frets sounds like a well-used and abused neck or very bad maintenance.

I hope you get a good price for your bass!

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian,

I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure one of them was being listed as new but I really don't trust some of the Soho guitar shops. I know this is, another, real generalisation but I'm astonished at how appalling the set up is of some basses I've tried in Denmark Street. Really does feel like they have some sort of "sales avoidance" policy sometimes!

[quote name='molan' post='170856' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:57 PM']Hi Ian,

I'm inclined to agree. I'm sure one of them was being listed as new but I really don't trust some of the Soho guitar shops. I know this is, another, real generalisation but I'm astonished at how appalling the set up is of some basses I've tried in Denmark Street. Really does feel like they have some sort of "sales avoidance" policy sometimes![/quote]

Last time I went into all the Denmark Street stores I came out rather depressed!

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='molan' post='170855' date='Apr 6 2008, 06:54 PM']I'm assuming you prefer wider width nuts then?

Looking at your list of basses Chris I reckon you'd prefer my Flea :huh:[/quote]

If it were for sale I'd be popping down to see you tonight :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='molan' post='166004' date='Mar 29 2008, 07:13 PM']So here's the first of my basses up for sale - more to follow soon!

It's a US made '97 Modulus VJ4 in a very nice sunburst finish with a tortoiseshell pickguard. It has twin passive Bartolini pickups and is in absolutely immaculate condition. Very slight hazing from being used but it certainly hasn't lead any sort of a hard gigging life. As far as I know I'm the second owner from new and I've only gigged with it a couple of times.

The body is top-routed alder, neck is a lovely carbon fibre bolt-on and it has the standard Modulus composite fingerboard. Bridge is a Gotoh chromed unit & tuners are Modulus.

These really are fantastic basses and have a great, very usable, and flexible sound. Really nice update of the classic Jazz with all the reliability of a rock solid carbon fibre neck that means it rarely strays out of tune and is totally lacking in any dead spots. As with quite a few of the more boutique American made basses the earlier ones tend to have better quality of construction and finish than some of the newer ones. E.G. I've seen a couple of newer Modulus basses with neck fittings that are not as nice and clean as this one.

Comes with a very good quality fitted hard case as well.

Only reason for selling is that I really have too many basses (I never thought I'd say such a thing!) and my other Modulus is a very custom bass that I hope never to have to sell!

PRICE NOW REDUCED TO £850 AS PER VARIOUS POSTS BELOW, not particularly desperate to sell quickly so may be able to take a deposit to secure in advance and rest of payment at a later date. I'm a fully verified PayPal account holder as well so could take part payment via credit card if that would help.

Managed to get some decent pics of the bass in natural light so you can, hopefully, see the depth of the colour.

Also discovered that the original Modulus tags and warranty card were in the case and that the key for the SKB was still there as well![/quote]

you interested in my iceni? trade? up on board now

[quote name='molan' post='166004' date='Mar 29 2008, 07:13 PM']So here's the first of my basses up for sale - more to follow soon!

It's a US made '97 Modulus VJ4 in a very nice sunburst finish with a tortoiseshell pickguard. It has twin passive Bartolini pickups and is in absolutely immaculate condition. Very slight hazing from being used but it certainly hasn't lead any sort of a hard gigging life. As far as I know I'm the second owner from new and I've only gigged with it a couple of times.

The body is top-routed alder, neck is a lovely carbon fibre bolt-on and it has the standard Modulus composite fingerboard. Bridge is a Gotoh chromed unit & tuners are Modulus.

These really are fantastic basses and have a great, very usable, and flexible sound. Really nice update of the classic Jazz with all the reliability of a rock solid carbon fibre neck that means it rarely strays out of tune and is totally lacking in any dead spots. As with quite a few of the more boutique American made basses the earlier ones tend to have better quality of construction and finish than some of the newer ones. E.G. I've seen a couple of newer Modulus basses with neck fittings that are not as nice and clean as this one.

Comes with a very good quality fitted hard case as well.

Only reason for selling is that I really have too many basses (I never thought I'd say such a thing!) and my other Modulus is a very custom bass that I hope never to have to sell!

PRICE NOW REDUCED TO £850 AS PER VARIOUS POSTS BELOW, not particularly desperate to sell quickly so may be able to take a deposit to secure in advance and rest of payment at a later date. I'm a fully verified PayPal account holder as well so could take part payment via credit card if that would help.

Managed to get some decent pics of the bass in natural light so you can, hopefully, see the depth of the colour.

Also discovered that the original Modulus tags and warranty card were in the case and that the key for the SKB was still there as well![/quote]

you interested in my iceni? trade? up on board now

Sold to Graham today - just as the Lakland arrived, good timing eh?

Put a fresh set of strings on the old girl and was very sad to see her go. It's been sitting on a stand in the dining room the past week & I'd forgotten quite how nice it was under spotlights :)

Hope you have fun with it Graham, a very classy piece of kit :huh: