Why become a member? ×

Fretted to Fretless Jazz Bass conversion - Best option ?

Nostromo

[size=5]Hi there,

I have a mint condition hardly played Fender USA Standard Jazz Bass (1997 year - Model Number #019 -2400), it’s a 4 string fretted model and I want to convert it to a fretless bass.

Wondered what people thought the best option would be between:-

a ) Selling the bass and buying a fretless bass – noting that selling & buying usually equals loosing money ?

b ) Having the frets removed to convert the neck from fretted to fretless ?

c ) Removing the neck and selling it to fund towards buying and fitting a fretless neck ?

Any advice on which option might be the best and why ?[/size]

[size=5]Cheers,[/size]

:)

ps: I've put an add in the for sale section re option C) if anyone is interested ?

Edited by Nostromo

Yea . . . . . guess what . . . . its a Maple fretboard on this one.

I really fance the idea of option C) ie, fitting a replacement fretless neck . . . . but I know finding a worthy one is going to be a very very difficult task ? ? ?

I found a site on ebaY where they appear to break guitars and sell the parts (reliable fender / the SRTATosphere) but their prices dont seem all that cheap, and then theres the problem that they are in the US so there would be the international postage and import taxes to factor in, so that would be a very expensive way to do it ?

Real shame Fender wont sell replacement necks ! ! . . . . ironic really that they wont . . . . since that was why good old Leo designed his instruments with bolt on necks in the first place . . . so they could be easily changed ! ! !

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Nostromo' timestamp='1323892451' post='1468498']
Yea . . . . . guess what . . . . its a Maple fretboard on this one.

I really fance the idea of option C) ie, fitting a replacement fretless neck . . . . but I know finding a worthy one is going to be a very very difficult task ? ? ?

[/quote]
Well, what would you consider 'worthy'? Does it have to have a Fender decal? If you want a lined rosewood board you might get lucky but if you want plain rosewood, ebony or maple (my own fretless favourite :) ), you'll have to look at some aftermarket necks. It's a tricky one because you don't want to devalue your bass by modding the neck but if you sell the neck to fund a new fretless neck you'll devalue the bass just as much, if not more as it'll no longer be original. If you love the bass and plan to keep it I'd go the modding route (you can still mod a maple fretted into a rosewood, ebony or even plain maple fretless), otherwise you're probably better off selling.

Thanks for that,

Yea . . . . . I guess I'd like the fender logo ! . . . dont know why really . . . ? .. . . but over the years I have realized I do really like USA and equally Japananese Fender Jazz necks . . its the neck shape profile I really look out for ? . . . . . . and I like the USA Jap stuff . . . though I've never ever felt the same about the Mexican Jazz basses . . . their necks generally feel hevier and bulkier to me . . . though it may be just the ones I've actually played and not representative . . . who can say ? . . . . . anyway . . . . I'm into fine / thin / narrow / shallow Jazz bass necks so thats what I'm looking for to fit to this Fretless ? . . . . . I do like some of the indonesian Squier necks, they are really fine . . . . but I'm not really thinking of putting a squier neck on a USA body ? . . . . . . . . .